Grinding Noise

Reaction score
Hi everyone - My mini seems to be making more of a grinding noise than normal when it wakes from sleep mode. I have a looked around at other info (even apple itself) and it says that some noise is to be expected. I will admit that I noticed this in the past, but it seems to have gotten louder. I have not taken it apart and it is still under the initial first year warranty. Any ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is it a Clicking noise or grinding? If Clicking it could be the Hard Drive. Otherwise it might be the fan. I would take it in to Apple since it's still under Applecare just to be safe.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for your reply. it sounds almost like a car that won't start when you turn the ignition. the problem is i don't live near an apple store. if i mail it back to them, what is the turnaround time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
thomas try verify disk in Disk Utilities and if a problem is found boot from the install disk and run Repair Disk from there, also under utilities. I take it your mini has a 2.5" HDD which can fail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.