3GB or 4GB RAM?

Reaction score
Hi,

Since iMac comes with just 1GB of RAM, I'm looking to upgrade it as I'll be using Photoshop/Dreamweaver almost all the time.

However, I'll have to sell the original stick (worth $250) to buy 2x2GB sticks. Should I just get an additional 2GB and use it with the original 1GB stick?

I've heard that RAM sticks should be equal in size/memory/speed etc.. to get optimum speed. So I'm wondering if would if 1+2=3Gb RAM would work well?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Please tell me where I can sell my 1GB module for $250.;D

I just upgraded my new iMac from 1GB to 4GB because it was very cheap at about $100 for two 2GB modules. Like you, I do image processing, and like to multi-task while I wait for the program to complete batch processing and other time-consuming tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm with EORI, you're going to find it very difficult to get somebody to pay $250 for 1GB of RAM when you can get 4GB for only $80.

3GB will work just fine in your system as long as you use all of it, which is clearly going to be the case looking at what programs you plan on running. I would just suggest you buy the greatest amount of RAM you can afford. Whatever you pick, it'll be a noticeable improvement over the 1GB you currently have.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Got a kingston 2GB stick, so its 3gb for now. I'll upgrade to 4gb a bit later maybe. Working cool so far. :)

Reaction score
Depending on which IMac you purchase, the maximum RAM supported will vary. Mid 2006's IMac support a maximum of 3GB of RAM. Later versions support a maximum of 4GB.

I only buy RAM from Crucial, the official RAM supplier of Apple. Their RAMs are guaranteed to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.