install xp on external hdd

Reaction score
i have a 120 gb external hdd that id like to install windows on it so i can boot into it on my ibook. how do i go about doing this? also, will it work even though im using a G3 iBook, 800 Mhz? if i go into Startup Disk under System Preferences i can select which system i want to use to start up the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Booting windows off external disks needs a bit of trick. I am not sure if they have been tried on Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I don't think it's possible to boot into Windows from the PPC processors I think you'd need one of the newer Intel chips before you could even consider this as an option.

Not 100% sure but I'd say maybe 90% sure that only Intel based macs can boot into Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. PPC macs can't boot Windows so the question ends there. To add to that it's really difficult to install Windows on an external hard drive (Cause Windows has to have all that MBR stuff, including C: and stuff.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
It isn't that hard to install windows on an external HDD if you use USB2.0 or firewire 800 you would be fine, Only you can't do it as you have a PPC iBook so sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ You might providing some links on how to do it? The last guide I read had a lot of 'stuff' that one had to do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I don't have a guide and i haven't got it on my external drive my mate has(Got stolen copy of Vista Ultimate:)) i'll ask him how he did it or find a good/easy to read guide

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.