• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Silence is Golden

Reaction score
As in money.

A cloaking device. More proof the Klingons have landed. Or maybe the Romulans.

Think of the possibilities beyond the Silent Service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
If only my neighbors had this so I didn't have to hear them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Interesting idea. My initial reaction was in the negative. I remember taking a course in sonar in the early 1980s when I worked with submarine weapon systems. An analogy that comes back from memory is that radar is to science as sonar is to black magic. Frankly, radar isn't all that great, but it beats sonar in lots of meaningful ways. I'll say however that sonar is far more of an interesting game when you're playing cold war cat-n-mouse.

But I blather.

It's an interesting idea, certainly, and it could have some very specific applications. While not quite the ultimate advantage, it could help.

In the cold war, the Soviets developed the Alfa class submarine. They were fast and they were noisy. In contrast, the US developed the Los Angeles class submarine, a relatively quiet sub but one that by published numbers (and probably reality) could not travel as fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_class_submarine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_class_submarine

I think it's pretty safe to say that in most cases submarines run silent to the extent practicable, and use passive sonar; they listen. Submarines make noise, so you listen for them. They must also know something about the sound propagation in the water, based on depth, temperature, salinity, et al, in order to know the likely direction and range of the source. Active sonar, pinging, tells the world where you are, and is not exactly what you want to do unless absolutely necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonar

For this next link, scroll down to Figure 3 and the related text for a description of how sound propagates in water.

http://www.stanford.edu/class/me220/data/lectures/lect13/lect_13.html

Using a sound pass-through cloak as described in the linked article could help get a sub through some very specific situations. I'll bet however that the kind of technology that could pass sound around something like a sub could also do other things to silence it for other situations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
Silence can mean the difference between life and death. During my military career, prolonged silence was a factor regarding my survival. However, prolonged silence could also become my enemy. Prolonged silence can often affect your state of mind. You are subject to hearing or believing you are hearing sounds when you are not. Worse yet, this state of mind can also taunt one to begin talking to themselves. If this were to happen (in my case), I would have jeopardized both my position, and my chances of survival. Needless to say, I mastered silence.

Sound or noise on the other hand is a blessing in disguise. My tasks, among other factors, all relied on sound. People who talked too much, sang or whistled too much, made my job that much easier. With that said, the majority of sounds people make, they are not aware of. This too was a factor for me to successfully complete my tasks. Of course the easiest tasks involved people who don't pay attention to their surroundings, but that is for another discussion.

Reaction score
What neighbour isn't loud, everyone mows their lawn.
I don't play music quietly, they can be loud if they want.

OP
B
Reaction score
I remember that noise-cancelling story and have often wondered what happened, usually when I fire up the lawn mower or snow blower. Imagine dead-quiet mowers, jets, cars, rock concerts, mothers-in-law. . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.