what to do with problematic iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
well guys. ive had my iphone for about 6 months now. a lot of times it will home-screen exit out of programs. when i eventually try to restore it, it shows all sorts of 16xx errors. it seems to have real trouble operating.

heres the deal though. its sporadic. sometimes it works great. sometimes it works terrible. when it gets working terrible, thats it, theres no coming back without a restore.

it seems to have a lot of problems, ive sent several iphone error reports to apple, so they know the troubles ive had.

heres where i stand. i dont want to goto the apple store, and have it do nothing but work while im there, thatll make me look like an idiot. the problems are real, and im just so unhappy when i cant even use safari for more than 2 seconds without a home screen exit. sometimes my settings pane exits out too, which suggests the phone has a hardware issue.

what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Get on the phone with Apple support and explain the issue. If you must... ask for a manager. If they can't solve the problem, they owe you a new one (I am assuming you haven't done any SIM unlocking or Jailbreaking to it... if you have, please clarify that here). No one's going to fix it if you are too embarrassed to ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Have you tried restoring it?

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get on the phone with Apple support and explain the issue. If you must... ask for a manager. If they can't solve the problem, they owe you a new one (I am assuming you haven't done any SIM unlocking or Jailbreaking to it... if you have, please clarify that here). No one's going to fix it if you are too embarrassed to ask.

not at all embarassed to ask. i just dont wanna get all the way up there, and have it work 100% fine when i get in the store. intermittant problems are a real nightmare.

I have not done any unlocking. i did use jailbreak a few times, but this was much later after the problems were completely apparent. the phone is stock now, and has been for 3 weeks, with nothing but the same problems over and over again. running 1.1.2.

of course i have tried restoring :) see OP. the only time it will restore is when it is turned off for more than 3 hrs and the awakened by itunes restore feature.
otherwise, error 1603 or 1611.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
of course i have tried restoring :) see OP. the only time it will restore is when it is turned off for more than 3 hrs and the awakened by itunes restore feature.
otherwise, error 1603 or 1611.
Haha sorry about that. Must of skipped over it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Again.... call Apple. It's under waranty. You are getting anomalous errors. They owe you a fix or a new phone.

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats apple phone support on the standard warranty?

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple swapped the sucker within 5minutes. they wouldnt take my word for all the problems, so he sat and watched the "home screen exit/reboot" extravaganza!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
did you update it after the new iphone update came out at mac world. this fixed all my home screen exits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
The apple store I go to was really good about replacing mine. It was having a lot of program exits and it would freeze at least twice a day. When I went in there I explained the the problems were intermittent and I probably wouldn't be able to duplicate it. The tech was very nice and asked if I tried restoring it, turning it off/on, etc. After that, he just walked in the back and brought me a brand new one. He then even re-activated it on one of the computers there so I could have service on the way home. I say take it in and just be cool about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.