Install using back up discs

Reaction score
I have two different sets of back up discs that came with both my imac and macbook... a buddy is selling me his old emac - he has already wiped out the hard drive leaving me with no OS. Can I use the back up discs that came with my newer computers to install an OS on the emac or will i need to purchase a new OS version? (I know that the emac will support the OS - but will the discs allow me to install or is it a liscence issue?...) Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. The disks that come with Macs almost never on other models. And the disks that came with Intel Macs like yours definitely won't work on a PowerPC mac like an eMac.

2. Even if they did, it would be a violation of the licensing agreement to do so.

You can probably find a cheap set of Tiger disks on eBay or another store that sells old software; make sure they're black, retail disks and not upgrade disks or grey restore disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As technologist says they will not work on other models. The gray colored discs are system restore discs suitable only for the machine they came with. You will need to obtain the black colored retail full install version for the eMac.

A CD install version of four CD's was available at the time for use with eMacs which did not have a DVD drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.