convert tiff to jpg?

Reaction score
hi. i have just scanned in a whole bunch of old pics into iphoto. i put them in as tiffs...but am now wondering if i shoulda put them in as jpegs...can i convert them to jpegs? if so how? and is there a better one ? tiff or jpeg?

T

todd51

TIFF files are usually used for preparing files for printing. JPEG files are compressed files so that they take up less space on the computer and are ideal for using as graphics on the web. If you plan on printing out the pictures later and want good quality, keep them as TIFFs, otherwise if you just want to store a bunch on the computer to back up, change them to JPEG.

I'm sure if you don't have Adobe Photoshop you can always open the already scanned TIFF files in Gimp (google it!) and just save it as a JPEG. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I'm sure Preview can do the conversion, just open the image and then select save as or export. If they are already in iPhoto, then iPhoto should also do the trick easily (export). Unless the size is a problem, i would leave them in TIFF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I second imagewell. it works great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz Power PC G5
One thing to be really careful of is working on jpeg images .. and saving them again and again. (say you want to crop them, fix colours etc) Everytime a jpeg is saved it recompresses the file and loses quality (jpeg is a lossy compression format and pixels are lost).
So best to work on them as tif files and then save them to tif (print) or jpeg (online) AT THE END.

OP
G
Reaction score
hey, thats great, thanks heaps for the tips...reaLLY APPRECIATE..CHEERS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You could also check out Automator. It can convert them automatically for you. Also, if you enable folder actions, and add an applescript to it, any file that you drop in will automatically get converted to JPEG or whatever.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I second graphic converter

Reaction score
If you drag your images out of Iphoto into another folder, Iphoto will automatically convert them to JPG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PMG5/2x1.8ghz/4gb BallistixTracer/400gbX2 SATAII Hitachi - 19&22"WS LCD's - 9600XT (1822) 4yrs old
JPEG at highest setting - TIFFS are used because if the image (TIFF) is 'bleeding' out of a box. Whatever can't be seen, doesn't get RIP'ed. Therefore keeping the PS (Postscript files) down to a minimum file size.

I ONLY use JPG (highest) commercially!

Reaction score
One thing to be really careful of is working on jpeg images .. and saving them again and again. (say you want to crop them, fix colours etc) Everytime a jpeg is saved it recompresses the file and loses quality (jpeg is a lossy compression format and pixels are lost).
So best to work on them as tif files and then save them to tif (print) or jpeg (online) AT THE END.

AMEN to that!

C

chas_m

You were smart to save the original scans as TIFF (a lossless format). Burn a copy of those onto a CD or DVD to preserve them, then convert your working ones (I assume you're done editing them) into JPGs.

Reaction score
simply convert on OSX

Maybe I'm stupid, but on OSX you can "open" TIFF using Preview app and "save as" it as JPEG in one click.

C

chas_m

mac_dk: that works great for a single image, but batch converting a whole bunch of them that way would be a right PITA.

The fastest method I know of (seriously) is to use ACDSee's built-in batch processor. Graphic Converter can do this too, very easily (though nowhere near as fast).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.