passwords and keychain

Reaction score
Recently, every time I reboot and open windows and mac mail I have to reenter my yahoo, aim (in adium) and two of my .mac account passwords (in mac mail).

I've gone in and reentered them manually but they don't stay there... I also click on "keep in my keychain" but when I restart I have to reenter the passwords again...

Anybody know what the deal is?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could open up keychain and try Keychain First aid under the file menu

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
KeyChain Issues

OK, 2d post on this subject.

Every time I reboot I have to re-enter my .Mac account passwords as well as yahoo and aim passwords (in Adium). I have already done the first aid option in keychain but the problem still persists...

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Make a new user and see if you have the same trouble with the same apps. Report back and we'll go from there.

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Did as you instructed and in that test acct. the problem doesn't exist. As I also stated in a private message to you; I've been having other issues (opening iTunes, iPhoto and others... they appear in the dock as running and I have access to the tool bar, however, I can't use the program- they don't show) in the test acct it doesn't happen.

Thanks again for your help!

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Got the programs running fine by using Disk Warrior... :) however, the password issues still aren't resolved. :(

UPDATE; programs back to unusable... I don't understand...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... since you are having no troubles in your test account, then something is rotten in your User account... likely a Library issue. First thing to do is pick up an app called Onyx and run through its full set of maintenance scripts, cache cleaners, repair permissions, etc. Let's see if that does the trick. Report back if not.

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Ran Onyx and the first time iTunes opened fine, adium and mac mail still are requesting passwords... (only in yahoo/aim & two of my email accts respectively).

I do have an external hard drive and have been backing up... going to try and restore the library (back 8 days and see what happens).

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... now let's try deleting the preference file for the keychain. Look in your User Library/Preferences and delete the file com.apple.keychainaccess.plist (don't worry... a clean copy will get created automatically). Delete the preference file for Adium and Mail also. Let's see if that helps.

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
I appreciate the help... I simply reinstalled the OX and backed up from time machine... Thanks a ton.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.