Mouse / Cursor Question

Reaction score
I've had my Intel based iMac for about three weeks and love it. This machine makes my old Dell laptop seem like a snail. I have a question regarding the cursor which sometimes jumps around on the screen even when I have not moved it. Is this normal or is there some setting that will cure this activity.

TIA :D

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, aahMac.

What type of surface do you use your mouse on?

A friend of mine had some problems with the computer desk surface: once she used a mouse pad everything was back to normal. The desk had some kind of busy Formica finish and it seemed like it confused the mouse sensor.

Reaction score
I was having this problem too. It was like someone was controlling my screen like I do to my parents sometimes. I switched to a different mouse and it was fine. I think the finish on the book had something to do with it but for some reason the other mouse worked without changing surfaces. Oh well. I suggest trying a different surface

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I had the some problem until someone here told me that the optical mouse sometimes gets freaked by shiny surfaces. I turned my mousemat upside down to use the black foam side and haven't been troubled since.

Reaction score
I had the some problem until someone here told me that the optical mouse sometimes gets freaked by shiny surfaces. I turned my mousemat upside down to use the black foam side and haven't been troubled since.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. On my old Dell Desktop I was using a mousepad I got for Christmas with a shiny plastic lamination over the pad, and the mouse would jump around all over the place. I thought it was just a mouse, but then I gave the pad to my mom to use for her new iMac, and the same thing happened to her, so I figured it must have been the pad. We flipped it over and now it works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.