All web browsers crashing

Reaction score
For some reason on certain websites, any browser I try crashes. Justin.tv is the one that has the biggest problem, but there's others I just can't remember right now. It's fine on my mom's Windows based computer, so I don't think it's the website. I'm pretty new to Macs in general, so I figured this would be a good place to help. If it comes down to it, I could reinstall Leopard, but I would rather that be my last option.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has been having any of the same sort of problems or if anyone knew any fix for it. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you all in advance.

Reaction score
I would start by updating java, flash, and shockwave. You may not have the flash and shockwave plugins installed at all, in fact.

OP
H
Reaction score
I've got all of that and they are the most current versions. Pretty much anything simple like that, I've done. I'm not anything special with computers, but I know my way around them pretty well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are you doing on www.justin.tv when the browser crashes? What version of OSX are you running? Here under Leopard 10.5.1 I went there and watched a few movies and not one crash. Using Safari.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm using Leopard 10.5.1 too. I'm just looking at different pages and such. Watching different live feeds and such. It happens at just random times. usually within 2 minutes of entering the website. I've tried using Safari, Firefox, Opera, along with other browsers. Same thing happens with all of them. I've got a new MacBook Pro, I just purchased like a month ago. Besides the browser problem, I haven't had a bit of problem out of it.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, helloimmatt.

Create a new user account and see if the website loads correctly without any issues in that new account. Sounds like you might have a software incompatibility in your usual account.

OP
H
Reaction score
I tried it on the guest account. Not sure if that would work. Should I just start a new completely new account? By the way, thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

Make a brand new one. And try it there. If it still crashes maybe you have something installed in your system that messes things up for all the users.

I'm there at the website just like trav is and it works fine for me. Maybe it's a browser add-on you have or something.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All the videos there are Flash. I wonder if it's something with Flash causing your crashing as all browsers would use it. I even grabbed a couple of videos to see what would happen and I get no crashing at all.

OP
H
Reaction score
I tried creating a user account and I thought it was cool, then about two minutes later...crash. I've tried deleting flash, then reinstalling, but it still does the same stuff. Who knows? I'll probably end up just having to reinstall Leopard. Sucks.

M

MacHeadCase

Well what you could try is go to Apple/support/downloads, spot the 10.5.1 update, download it to your desktop.

Unplug all unnecessary peripherals.

Restart in Safe Boot mode by holding down the Shift key.

Log into you usual account and launch the 10.5.1 updater. Do not use your computer while the install is underway.

Once the update is done you can restart the normal way, plug back in your peripherals and see how it goes.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

OP
H
Reaction score
After trying quite a few things, I finally got this problem fixed. Of course the only solution that worked was doing a clean install of Leopard. I just got finished a bit ago and all the sites that normally would crash within a few minutes aren't crashing at all. THANK GOD! Haha.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, I just figured I'd respond so if anyone else had this problem when they got a computer with Leopard, they could save their time and go ahead and do a clean install before that have a bunch of programs, like me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.