If my computer is turned off, will my iCal alarms display when I turn it back on?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an alarm set daily for 6am to run a script. However my computer was off all night, and upon booting up my computer the script didn't run.

It's a script i would like to run once a day, every day and it doesn't matter what time it runs.

Is there any work around for this? It's a applescript.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm pretty sure there's an option somewhere "run at later time of not possible at alarm time". If you can't find it by the time I get back home to my mac, I'll look it up...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have leopard, and the iCal preferences only has 3 tabs and no such option is listed as far as i can see.

Reaction score
The answer is: yes and no.
Go to your System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options, Schedule and tell it when to startup.

OP
D
Reaction score
aww, thats the thing. I don't want my computer to start up unless I start it up.

Is there any other way to run the applescript once daily as soon as my computer starts? Ical was the only way i can find to schedule such a task. I'm new to mac.

as a side question, what if I have my computer on sleep and not off... will it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use this app Awaken, which is an alarm software. It runs an iTunes playlist at alarm time. Another feature is that it can launch a file while running an alarm. It can also wake a computer from it's sleep. I'm not sure if iCal does that (you could try it out just to see)

OP
D
Reaction score
I used Aurora which plays an itunes playlist as my morning alarm.

I was just curious if there was a way to make something run the moment i turn on my computer if my computer was off during the scheduled time.

Thank everyone for your replies by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure about "if the computer was off during the scheduled time", but otherwise you just add it to the login items.

Or, you could make the computer start at 6AM, Then make iCal run a script at 6:05. Then make your computer shut down at 6:10.

Also, like I said, Awaken has this feature of running any file along with the alarm, just so you know.

Reaction score
Re: will iCal alarms run upon system boot/wakeup?

Hello,

I have an alarm set daily for 6am to run a script. However my computer was off all night, and upon booting up my computer the script didn't run.

It's a script i would like to run once a day, every day and it doesn't matter what time it runs.

Is there any work around for this? It's a applescript.

If you are talking about an iCal alarm, the answer is an emphatic NO. If you're talking about some other type of alarm, disregard my response.

BTW, I'm running iCal 4.0.4 on OSX 10.6.8.

I have been on the Apple Support line, flaming them about this issue. I've tested it enough to know that calendar event alarms that occur during system sleep, are dropped on the floor. This is a very serious bug (it IS embarrassing to miss meetings), but Apple will not acknowledge that it is a problem, or tell me if it is fixed in later releases.

How should it behave? Each iCal alarm should have a semaphore associated with it that says whether the alarm has occurred or not. When the system wakes from sleep (iCal receives a wakeup signal), or system boots, iCal should issue alarms for all events previous to the wakeup/boot time, which has an alarm that has not been issued yet. How can Apple overlook something so important? Beats me. They can put all the bells and whistles in iCal they want, but if it can't reliably issue alarms, who cares?

I'm looking for an alternate calendar utility for OS X which can do this. Do you know of one? Then please tell me what it is! Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.