DIY Ring Light

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I built a ghettofied ring light tonight. It's part of a large 10 1/2" light. I cut the fixture out of the middle and sliced inwards with a dremel creating tabs. I then used foil HVAC tape and the tabs to secure a 4" wide PVC pipe piece to the center. Cut a hole in the side for the flash and fixed paper over the light, cutting out for the hole. The light coverage is completely even for the most part. The first test shot turned out how I envisioned it. I'm replacing the printer paper with velum paper, I just didn't feel like running over to the studio to pick it up.

I have a small shoot setup for tomorrow evening. I'll post the results and pictures of the light then. I have a good idea in my head of what I'm going to do tomorrow, so hopefully it turns out.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here it is.

2185339059_5f0c79127a_o.jpg

2185339061_025341ea83_o.jpg

2185339065_ce6649dd18_o.jpg

I spent a little time editing this one.
2185339057_781b5925c3_o.jpg

These were just test shots. I didn't have much room, so the light is in the way and she's cut off on a couple. This is really intended for a slightly longer lens than the kit lens. I'm thinking 17-40L, 24-70L, or the cheaper tamron in the same range.

2186146842_741e6fd069_o.jpg

2186146844_74a3a223fc_o.jpg

2186146852_8c41896507_o.jpg

Reaction score
strooooooooooooooooooobist! love it just 2 things 1 in the last 1 theres a thumb bottom right :p second the shadows seem a bit strange ?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
strooooooooooooooooooobist! love it just 2 things 1 in the last 1 theres a thumb bottom right :p second the shadows seem a bit strange ?

Yeah, the rim of the light was in the way. I was just testing it with the kit lens and it's a bit shallow. It's more along the lines of something that will work well with the 24-70.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Dude. Shut up and check out my ring light post
;D O:)

oh, you best not b tellin' me to shut up! ;D

What do you mean by "It's part of a 10 1/2" light?" What's the setup? I am really confused.
The images look great. A little risque for MF maybe?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
oh, you best not b tellin' me to shut up! ;D

What do you mean by "It's part of a 10 1/2" light?" What's the setup? I am really confused.
The images look great. A little risque for MF maybe?

She's completely clothed by the way. Those photos wouldn't ever make it here.

This is what it started it's life as:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=203219-1373-FL-302PDQ&lpage=none

The inside fixture was cut out and the remaining metal sliced straight back to where the pvc piping sits and then bent up into the center of the pipe and used as tabs to help hold it in.

Reaction score
Thanks, you just saved me $1500. But how is the flash being held in that rather large hole?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Thanks, you just saved me $1500. But how is the flash being held in that rather large hole?

Right now, it just sits on the flash and the flash sits on a stand. I'm triggering them with a set of PW's, but anything will work right now (sync cable). I'm going to build a bracket that mounts to the tripod screw mount(1/4 20 thread pattern FYI). This will mount with the hole facing up and I'm going to place a snoot like device that reaches up to the flash and allows you to use the flash mounted on the camera.

I'm going to try and do that today, so I'll post up pictures when I get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AlumiMac24/MBP
What a fantastic job... even the shadowing has the distinct "shot with a ring light/light ring" shadow.

You mentioned the 24-70L: That is what I use with my Alien Bees ring light... definitely a great lens to use for ring-light/light-ring photography.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
What a fantastic job... even the shadowing has the distinct "shot with a ring light/light ring" shadow.

You mentioned the 24-70L: That is what I use with my Alien Bees ring light... definitely a great lens to use for ring-light/light-ring photography.

Thanks,

I'm thinking about buying the Sigma 17-70 for now though. I've used a 24-70L and wasn't impressed with it, it didn't have the sharpness that I was expecting after using a 70-200 f/4L and a 17-40 f/4L. It was a let down and I don't think I'm ready to drop the money for one just yet as I hear it's hard to find a sharp copy. Some people have complained about going through several to find a good one. I just need a lens that's physical length is about that long.

I did purchase a 70-200 f/2.8L IS from a user on Photography on The Net last Saturday, and if the lens fits through the opening, I think it'll be a good match. It's going to be a little closer than I like, but it'll be great for portraits. I still have to build a bracket though, I had to work all day Saturday and didn't do anything on Sunday.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
how about a 50mm prime and take the ring back a bit?

The focal length on the 50mm is a bit long and the lens's physical dimensions are rather short. I have one of those. Even the 17-40 would probably work better as the actual measurments of the lens itself looks long enough to fit through the ring, while still providing a short enough focal length to get all of what ever I want to shoot in focus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.