JUST maxed out my iMac with RAM (4GB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
A really simple job it was too!

The machine is now faster to start up, and seems more responsive. If anyone has any questions then shoot!

One thing I noticed however, is that tech tool deluxe (came with apple protection plan cd), now will not load up :-( This may be due to the fact it doesn't work on Leopard however, and not so much the RAM. Not that anyone is worried about that anyway :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There is a Tech Tool Deluxe update available from the website to work with leopard.

Costs US$25.00 however.........

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a Tech Tool Deluxe update available from the website to work with leopard.

Costs US$25.00 however.........

Thanks for the info! Least I know the issue is with the OS now :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To the original posyer. Ok I will ask you a question. Have you ever had 2 GB of ram in your imac? And if so how did it handle (app wise and responsiveness) when compared to the 4 GB? In your opinion this is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I can answer that. My stock iMac 24 had 1x1gb to start and functioned well until I started doing more and having more programs opened. I added a 512 from my other 24" and found relief from some speed symptoms but still noticed the beach ball when trying to exit and start programs. Never an issue but if you can remember that feel of speed on a fresh machine then it never gets back to that level as you load it up with stuff.

So I added 1x2gb for a total of 3gb and found most of the speed issues disappear as there is more than enough now it seems. I have increased my slice of RAM in Parallels and it now runs XP better with more RAM available.

Without a doubt the $100 for the 2gb is a worthwhile investment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I immediately went to 4GB as well, as I do a lot of heavy-duty image processing, and like to multi-task while I wait for the images to get processed.

So now what do I do with my spare 1GB of factory RAM?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the original posyer. Ok I will ask you a question. Have you ever had 2 GB of ram in your imac? And if so how did it handle (app wise and responsiveness) when compared to the 4 GB? In your opinion this is.

Yes, it came with 2GB, and I kept it that way for about 4-5 months, only recently upgrading to 4GB. It handled normal stuff no problem at all, working quite fast will all manner of applications and functions.

It was really CS3, and Photoshop in particular that caused me to upgrade. With 2GB my machine had ZERO RAM left during some heavy work. This problem has now been fixed, and I have a nice bit of headroom.

The system now feels much more responsive, and it boots up quicker. Naturally apps have speeded up, and you can have more open at the same time etc.

Sooo.. 2GB --> 4GB = Noticeable Difference (For Me)

If you dont use RAM intensive programs then an upgrade may not be worth it. Its useful to keep an eye on system resources to see how much RAM you are using.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So now what do I do with my spare 1GB of factory RAM?

Put it inside the anti-static bags that the new RAM came in, and then into the other packaging the new RAM came in, then store it away in the loft or wherever you store things -- just incase you ever need it!

Obviously you can sell it on too. I prefer to keep it however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
slinki, one thing that worries me about this is that more RAM = more heat inside the case. Do you notice that the fans are running faster/harder? Do you notice any increase in the level of noise from the machine as a result?

Oh, and ditto to the question about where you bought your RAM. I would be interested in knowing too. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
where did you buy it from and how much? any tips when i do it.

Thanks

101.00 GBP exactly! I ordered from Crucial's website, crucial.com. As far as tips go, make sure and put down a towel or some other soft cloth, before you set your mac down, as it needs to lay face down and you dont want to scratch your screen. Also, the little tabs that you pull out to release the memory may be quite tough so dont be afraid to use a little force.

slinki, one thing that worries me about this is that more RAM = more heat inside the case. Do you notice that the fans are running faster/harder? Do you notice any increase in the level of noise from the machine as a result?

Oh, and ditto to the question about where you bought your RAM. I would be interested in knowing too. Thanks.

Absolutely nothing of that nature. I monitor all the temperature sensors on my mac, and I have never once seen anything read over 60 degrees C...ever!

Crucial for memory, great website :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
You should also check out Buy.com as they have been having some good deals on RAM. I got 4gb for my iMac for about $80 after rebates.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Chaunce... Thanks for that tip. Ordered mine a few minutes ago, my final cost for two 2-GB sticks will be $70 as I used Google checkout for another $10 savings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
do you have full use of all 4GB? what about those of you who had 1 and went to 3?? do you have full use of all your RAM?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you have full use of all 4GB? what about those of you who had 1 and went to 3?? do you have full use of all your RAM?

Yes, I frequently max my RAM out...or very close to it. Why would you not have full use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
seems I was poorly misinformed by some future shop workers.. said if I installed a 2GB stick my 1GB wouldn't be recognized or if I installed 2x2GB then it would only read 3.2 GB so either they are really lost or they are maybe thinking the white iMac??

Reaction score
seems I was poorly misinformed by some future shop workers.
Future Shop is owned by Best Buy (last paragraph in link), so accept its salespeople's computer wisdom, especially about Macs, as you would Best Buy's.

But FWIW, there's a mall not far from me with both stores in it. I made some price comparisons just the other day, and the identical, same-brand articles, from phones and answering machines to blank media and TVs are consistently more expensive at Best Buy than at Future Shop, despite Best Buy's salespeople not working on commission. I believe they do at Future Shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
There is a distinct possibility they are referring to Windows XP and Vista's inability to recognize anything beyond 2GB of RAM. It's possible to tweak Windows to recognize more than that but you also get a performance hit when you do. Just a guess on my part of what they were talking about.

I just ordered 4GB of RAM for my MacBook from NewEgg - $94. RAM prices are really, really cheap now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.