• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

'iPod tax' Bites Dust

Reaction score
Appeals court strikes down controversial 'iPod tax'.

It doesn't matter, of course, that this is the third time the courts have killed this type of theft. The pigopolists and the federal government still have a U.S.-type digital-rights-management bill — however much it's a dismal failure — in the works.

Baby still needs a new pair of shoes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You still have a tax in digital media, like CD-Rs, right? That's really terrible.

Interesting car in your avatar, BTW. What is it?

OP
B
Reaction score
You still have a tax in digital media, like CD-Rs, right? That's really terrible.
Few realize it, but the U.S. is not entirely free of a blank-media tax.

I'm not defending the Canadian tax, but until the pigopolists buy enough of the federal government to have their way with the Canadian public (that might be soon), it's the reason the courts have tossed out three attempts to collect more cash. (It's ironic, because the pigopolists demanded the tax in the first place. Now it's working against them.) It's also the reason why free downloading of songs is legal in Canada.

The pigopolists have been hoist by their own petard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
How appalling. What happened presumed innocent until proven otherwise? These levies should be called "the- we think you are all criminals -taxes".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is that car in your avatar a 54 Pontiac?

OP
B
Reaction score
Interesting car in your avatar, BTW. What is it?
It's a '53 Pontiac, the same colour as one I had. The pic, though, is of a Chieftan. Mine was a bottom of the line Canadian model with a six-cylinder engine.

The plastic Indian-head hood ornament on a Chieftan lit up amber with the headlights on. I think the avatar car has a straight-eight engine (as opposed to a V8).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Few realize it, but the U.S. is not entirely free of a blank-media tax.

That's ridiculous! I read somewhere recently that the reason stores sell "music" CDs and "data" CDs is because the music CDs have this kind of tax and the data CDs don't. In terms of use and functionality, aren't they the same thing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.