Issues with copying large files across a Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz 12GB RAM
I am having problems with transferring large files across my LAN. Everything goes okay until the last 5 seconds. I then get an error message saying "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items". When I go to the network folder, the file appears to be there. But later on (if I disconnect the network drive and reconnect) the files are gone.

What could be causing this? :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items".

My guess it has something to do with this.

OS X 10.4, 5 or other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what is the network drive, windows server or a non start-up drive on another mac?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am running 10.4. These are all "avi" files. I agree with what you are suggesting. I wonder why everything copies over as I described in my post. should I not get an error message immediately? What should the file permissions look like?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what is the network drive, windows server or a non start-up drive on another mac?

It is Maxtor drive hooked up to my local Ethernet. I access it via it's IP address. I think it is indeed a permissions issue. I am new to mac and, hence unsure of what the permissions should look like.

:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you get info on the drive, is their a little tick box at the bottom where you can select Ignore ownership and permissions on this drive

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you get info on the drive, is their a little tick box at the bottom where you can select Ignore ownership and permissions on this drive

No there is not. But I am connecting via the IP address. Then I choose a volume on the hard drive. It mounts. Then I access the particular directory where I am putting my videos.

This is getting complicated as the network drive was originally part of a Windows Network (before I got rid of those darned machines).

How can I access the drive otherwise?

I am not sure what to.....

:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Are there any instructions on the Maxtor site as to how to connect OS X to their device?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.