Whats Better Intel PC or a macintosh Imac..etc

S

Slammin_SoSo

Hi Guys,
Can anyone help me here? What is the difference between a G5 1.6 ghz computer and a Pentium 4 2.80ghz or more?

Whats is better a Intel PC or a macintosh imac? :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
This thread will erupt into a flame war in about six seconds.

The best answer I can give you is, "it depends." For some things, a G5/1.6 will be faster. For other things, a P4/2.8 will be faster.

As for which is "better"...you're on a Mac forum. So of course the Mac is better. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The Mac platform has the advantage of a complete and reliable OS. PC can only close on the concept in Linux. That is all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Oh no, please! Not another stupid flame thread like that!

There is no general answer, and never will be...
It all depends much of yourself, what you want to do with your computer, and what's important for you in a computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Not to start a flame war(Please Mods don't let this happen) but:

The Pentium 4 is an incredibly un-efficient processor due to its 20 stage pipeline.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

These stupid threads are pointless, there WILL NEVER BE AN ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
While there may never be a concrete answer beyond subjective opinion on this topic, I'd hardly call it stupid. Many people new to the Mac platform wonder these things because for years the "megahertz myth" has been beat into their heads by Intel and AMD.

Uninformed maybe, stupid, definitely not. That's partially why this board exists is to inform people.

If a thread shouldn't be started because there's not an objective answer, I can think of several political threads that are much more stupid than this one ;)

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

Yeah but to make a post like "Whats is better a Intel PC or a macintosh imac? " that IS stupid, there is no answer... It isn't even a real question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Actually, there is one answer that comes to my mind:
For all windows user, just simply try the Mac (at a shop or ask somebody who has one). After that, there are 3 possibilities:
1. You'll love it so much that you switch and never want to hear about Windows
2. You'll love it, but still want to keep your PC aside your (new ;) ) Mac, to benefit from both platforms advantages
3. You just simply hate it and stick with the PC

Nr 2 is the way I've gone, and it works perfectly for me...but that's subjective.

@schweb:
I guess you're right about the "stupid thread" thing...sorry for that.
I guess I just read too much of those flames that started after similar questions. Because this always brings back those Mac users bashing PCs and vice versa...and THAT just simply IS stupid...

OP
S

Slammin_SoSo

It was just a question to ask. Im a windows user as we speak and find it unreliable and im not satisfied. Anyhow if your freaking out because of the question being ask, then don't answer it loser. Back to the topic. I want to try out a macintosh but was asking what is the difference between the ram and gigz they use then from what intel uses...that was all "i" wrote.. :mad:
Avalon said:
Actually, there is one answer that comes to my mind:
For all windows user, just simply try the Mac (at a shop or ask somebody who has one). After that, there are 3 possibilities:
1. You'll love it so much that you switch and never want to hear about Windows
2. You'll love it, but still want to keep your PC aside your (new ;) ) Mac, to benefit from both platforms advantages
3. You just simply hate it and stick with the PC

Nr 2 is the way I've gone, and it works perfectly for me...but that's subjective.

@schweb:
I guess you're right about the "stupid thread" thing...sorry for that.
I guess I just read too much of those flames that started after similar questions. Because this always brings back those Mac users bashing PCs and vice versa...and THAT just simply IS stupid...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PinkPhishDoors said:
Yeah but to make a post like "Whats is better a Intel PC or a macintosh imac? " that IS stupid, there is no answer... It isn't even a real question.
No question asked here is stupid if it pertains to the point of this board which is to answer Mac questions and share experiences.

If those bother you, your choices are to ignore them or leave the board. But please don't insult the members or people's questions. They deserve the same respect you would like.

OP
S

Slammin_SoSo

But yet they can insult me?
schweb said:
No question asked here is stupid if it pertains to the point of this board which is to answer Mac questions and share experiences.

If those bother you, your choices are to ignore them or leave the board. But please don't insult the members or people's questions. They deserve the same respect you would like.

OP
N

Nightblade

A 1.6 GHz computer is a single processor, and almost certainly couldn't stand up to a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 processor. If this was a dual processor G5, then it'd be a match, but the P4 might still beat it (although the G5 would still be very, very fast, and may even beat the P4, depending on how much MHz it has). But obviously, an X86 processor can't run a Mac OS, so if you want to do that you'll have to have a PowerPC processor. There's just no other way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slammin_SoSo said:
But yet they can insult me?
I fail to see how my replies don't seem to specify that.

Reaction score
ApplejustWorks said:

Now I can beleive that! First time I've seen a video for it. Thanks!

...Now for the question. The mac is meant for multimedia and maybe some games and apps. But if you want to use alot of games, or alot of littel programs that are only windows compatible, then get a windows machine. Hope this helps. If you want a real answer, compare them at a store to see for your self.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Maybe this will put things into context for you .

I have a iMac that is 6 years old (Bondi Blue ) it has a 233Mhz processor , 256 MB RAM and an 80GB Hard Drive . Running on Mac OS 9.2.2 .

All of my friends that own PCs have Intel Pentium 4 processors Running Windows XP .

My iMac outperforms them in every way except on games (which i don't use it for anyway ) .

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
M

Matt

The fact is (I think) they are both completely different chips, using different Operating Systems, different programs, different platform (not X86). I do know although that OS X is a big resource hogger than Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Matt said:
The fact is (I think) they are both completely different chips, using different Operating Systems, different programs, different platform (not X86). I do know although that OS X is a big resource hogger than Windows.

And yet ressources are better handled in OS X than Windows does. My PowerMac has a lot more animations than the P4 3GHz HT I have at work, and yet the P4 (running Win2k) annoys me much more often with the desktop reactions being way too slow for such a "powerfull" PC, sometimes even not reacting at all for a minute or so. Never had that on the Mac.

@Slommin-SoSo:
You didn't read my post you quoted, obviously...because it gives you an answer of what you should do to see the difference. It is not possible to say which P4 equals a G4 or G5, as it doesn't just depend on the CPU. Especially in a PC you can get 3 differently fast PCs, using the exact same CPU and config, but different mainboards...
And also I explained that the question in itself is not stupid (yet unanswerable), but that, at some point, there will be posts of fanatic Mac users telling about "Mac Rulez -PC sux" and the other way around, and THIS simply is stupid...

PS: you complain about being insulted, and yet you call me a loser...strange way to make your point :mad:

OP
S

Slammin_SoSo

Well I was just annoyed like u all were with the queston.
:(
Avalon said:
And yet ressources are better handled in OS X than Windows does. My PowerMac has a lot more animations than the P4 3GHz HT I have at work, and yet the P4 (running Win2k) annoys me much more often with the desktop reactions being way too slow for such a "powerfull" PC, sometimes even not reacting at all for a minute or so. Never had that on the Mac.

@Slommin-SoSo:
You didn't read my post you quoted, obviously...because it gives you an answer of what you should do to see the difference. It is not possible to say which P4 equals a G4 or G5, as it doesn't just depend on the CPU. Especially in a PC you can get 3 differently fast PCs, using the exact same CPU and config, but different mainboards...
And also I explained that the question in itself is not stupid (yet unanswerable), but that, at some point, there will be posts of fanatic Mac users telling about "Mac Rulez -PC sux" and the other way around, and THIS simply is stupid...

PS: you complain about being insulted, and yet you call me a loser...strange way to make your point :mad:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.