any suggestions?

Reaction score
OS X tiger on my macbook has recently started randomly shutting down and has got steadily worse. At first is was applications such as safari and quicktime and I was getting kernel panics, not sure what they are, and started getting the grey screen of death.

I ran applejack in single user mode but now I only get to the screen with the apple on before the grey screen comes down and tells me to restart. When I go into the single user mode it scrolls a load of text then freezes.

I connected an external hardrive to it for the first time about a week ago but backed some stuff up ok and I don't keep it connected.

I haven't got my install disk with me.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, timbertwig.

The only things left for you to do, to my knowledge, would be that you try booting from your restore disk or running the Apple Hardware Test in Extended Test mode.

I have a feeling you might have a problem with those as well but it would be worth a try.

If you have added any RAM, other than the factory-installed one, now would be the time to remove it and see if it wouldn't be a bad RAM module problem.

There are a couple of things Apple suggests you do: MacBook: Shuts down intermittently, Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC).

Other than that, you should take it in for repairs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.