emptying the trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen

A really simple question (I think) what is the button it is telling me to hold :Blushing:
sorry for makeing a thread on some thing so little...

T

todd51

The Option key is the key located directly to the left of the Command (Apple) key. Of course if your using a full-sized keyboard, there are two option keys, both are located next to the Command key.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
your better bet may be to make sure you've closed any word processing apps that may have the file open or in memory...

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this isnt working for some reason let me explain it a little better the thing is already in my trash but it will not let me delete it from there because it say it is locked? :S

T

todd51

Here is another idea for you. Try dragging the file out of the trash back onto your desktop. Then right click (or Ctrl + click) on the file and select "Get Info". There should be a checkbox called "Locked". If it's checked, then uncheck it, drag it back into the trash and then try to delete it.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is another idea for you. Try dragging the file out of the trash back onto your desktop. Then right click (or Ctrl + click) on the file and select "Get Info". There should be a checkbox called "Locked". If it's checked, then uncheck it, drag it back into the trash and then try to delete it.

thank you very very much that worked and I was nearly comeing on to say it dint work but i had to do it for every file inside the folder!

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
It seems this issue is happening more and more lately.. what causes a file to all the sudden be "locked" if the user did not intensionally do so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea.. It has not happend to me either

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.