Mac Pro, Whats everyone think of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Hey guys just went to the Apple site and saw the new Mac Pro. Pretty sick if you ask me. Can you put a Nvidia 8800 Ultra in it. That would be sick.

Please add comments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Assuming your use of the word "sick" is different to mine... I'd love a Mac Pro, running Cinema 4D on that thing would be faster than a speeding bullet, and with BootCamp would make a pretty nice gaming machine, too. Sadly, I can't justify buying one. :(

Reaction score
If it was cheaper and you could get a better graphics setup then i'd love one. They are BEASTS!
32 gigs of ram is pretty much pointless without getting a dual card setup imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Assuming your use of the word "sick" is different to mine... I'd love a Mac Pro, running Cinema 4D on that thing would be faster than a speeding bullet, and with BootCamp would make a pretty nice gaming machine, too. Sadly, I can't justify buying one. :(

Same here. Just received the email from apple showcasing the new pro *drools*

Reaction score
I think i'll admire it......from a distance. Fact: I will most likely NEVER be able to afford one. Thats about 3 mortgage payments, if i had that kind of money kicking around our house wouldnt be in foreclosure, its nice though. I think the case looks kinda "funky", but in a good way. 32Gigs of ram? thats possible? IM BEHIND. Mine doesnt even have one! Although it might soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Geee that's some beast. It's like I'd only ever use 1% of it's potential raw power even with heaps of apps open. And yeah it's cost extra for me if I ever hypothetically got one. Cause I've always owned all in one macs I don't own a screen. I think Apple should do a Mac Pro + screen combos. Cause I think a lot of people would be interested in them.

Graphics

Choose from a selection of cutting-edge PCI Express graphics cards from both NVIDIA and ATI, each able to support up to two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays. Select a higher-performance card for more advanced graphics work, or add more than one card to power an array of displays simultaneously for visualization projects and large display walls.

Please note: The Mac Pro provides a total of four PCI Express expansion slots. If both the Mac Pro RAID Card and Fibre Channel card options are selected, up to two graphics cards can be installed.

I just saw this as an option for the graphics card.
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
It has 1.5 GB Vram. What the? Most of the computers don't even have that much normal ram. This is crazy. Seriously only Apple would set really high standards in computing and then actually want to beat them with something even more insanely powerful.

But would I ever get one? No. I like my all in one computers.
But if I won a competition that was like spend $10K in like 30 mins, a new Mac Pro would be one of the first things that come to mind.

A question. Does any one know why it was released now and not at the macworld expo? I think that'd make more sense.

Reaction score
A question. Does any one know why it was released now and not at the macworld expo? I think that'd make more sense.

Probably they're preparing something like new products for the Macworld Expo, not just an upgrade of an actual product line, so they thought that releasing this upgrade a couple of days later would make more sense, considering that an hipotetically big attraction it's still behind the curtain, waiting to be unveiled next tuesday. But that's just my guess, could be something different for sure.

Anyway, does someone know if that video card I posted above is compatible with the new Mac Pro?

Nvidia-Quadro-FX1700-512MB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.