Temp files and Wiping Program

Reaction score
Hey. I switched from PC's to Macs about a year ago. I am just wondering if there is a compatible program (BCWipe) or another that wipes the free space on my drive (to TRULY erase deleted files)?

Secondly, on PC's there are folders and other places that store temporary files (normally .tmp) however, I'm curious where these files/folders are on my macs?

Thanks a million!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I do not know of a program for free space but try this:

You have say, 20.5 gig of free space. Use Disk Utility (Apps > Utilities) to create a disk image of 20 gig. Once it has done trash the empty disk image and erase, that process would have written over your free space.

As for cleaning cache files, logs and other hidden system stuff try mainMenu it will even let you see invisibles if you want

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Thanks! MainMenu works great! Also, went to disk utility and there is actually an option to do DOD specs (erasing, 7 passes) and other options as well. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.