Freeware reccomendation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Mac OS 10.4.11 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB HD, U2 Ipod (30GB)
is there any free(or shareware) software that you think its good and seems better than others or is just very helpful

some that i already use is:

VLC
Adium
Quciksilver
AppDelete
Firefox
NeoOffice
Disk Inventory X

any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Here are some freeware apps that I use:

SongBird (media player)
GIMP (PhotoShop alternative)
YamiPod (move music to and from an iPod)
Audacity (if you do music recording)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Use the search feature, there are a lot of threads on this. I notice you are new, so for future reference, search feature is your friend. Even if you have to dig through results for 10 minutes, you'll probably get your answer a lot faster than waiting for responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with the above.

But I'll help too. Here is a few free apps I really fund useful.

Onyx (System maintaince and tweaker)
Transmission (Torrent downloader)
Mactracker (Info and technical specs on every apple hardware product ever released)
Audio Overload (Plays video game music in their native formats)
The Unarchiver (A great expander for compressed files)
DOS Box (It's DOS!)
Disk Inventory X (Graphical interpretation of your hard drive contents)
Split And Contact (For when you need to break a file up into more manageable parts and connect the parts at a later time)
Sheep Shaver (Pre OS X on intel Macs.)
Easy WMA (Converts unprotected WMAs to other more useful formats)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in addition to some of the great apps already listed...

renamer4mac - awesome full featured renaming utility - so useful, i've added it to my tool bar on my finder windows.

max - provides a very nice cd ripping alternative to itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
in addition to some of the great apps already listed...

renamer4mac - awesome full featured renaming utility - so useful, I've added it to my tool bar on my finder windows.

max - provides a very nice cd ripping alternative to itunes.

Eric - Thanks for the pointer to Renamer4mac. I've been searching for something as versatile as this to rename my photo collection as renaming thousands of photos all in the format DSCNxxxx is no fun if you want a life. Max looks great too. I don't have a need for it just yet but I've downloaded it ready for a future need.

Thanks to for the original poster for asking the question again - otherwise I'd never have known about these two products.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
glad i could help :)

just found max myself - was reading an old macworld, and after finding some weakenesses in itunes rip quality, this sounded like a nice alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
How is renamer4mac as opposed to using Automator? I use Automator to do things like photo renaming.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i have used automator quite a bit to rename large numbers of files, and it would often put them out of their original order. also, renamer just has a more intuitive interface and is easier to use, and to switch between different sort of renaming. so if you had to do a couple different things to the file names to get them how you wanted them, renamer will do it very fluidly and show you a preview of how the filenames will look after the change.

completely worth trying it. ;)

Reaction score
Growl - System wide notification (site is currently having problems)
Reader Notifier - Menubar item that checks your google reader account for new posts
Camino - Light weight browser built on the gecko engine
ByteController - menubar itunes controller with growl notification and universal hotkeys
MainMenu - (another) menubar item that gives you quick access to osx maintence scripts and such

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz Power PC G5
try Neo Office .. not literally freeware but is open source. Break the nexus of microsoft!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.