VMFusion & Firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and found nothing.

I have just downloaded the trial of Fusion, and find that so far, it works fine. The trouble I have is that when in Windows, my Firewire device (camcorder) can not be detected.
There are a number of little USB icons at the bottom of the Windows screen for printer etc. but no Firewire devices.
This makes the whole thing rather useless, as I only need fusion to run my Windows editing programme. I have used Bootcamp in the past, but the constant re-booting is a drag.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Before you boot the virtual machine, open the settings for the virtual machine and try adding the firewire device using the options available. I remember to have seen it there. Once thats done, you can start the virtual machine and your windows machine can see the drive.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks smartyMAC

I have tried your suggestion, but when I try to add a device, the list that opens does not include a firewire port. It does list serial or parallel port, but not much else.

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Maybe it would be under the 'removable devices' section. Make sure the FW device is plugged in and on, then open that settings sheet.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies, but there is nothing for adding a firewire device within the menu. OSX can see the camera, and I wonder if this is the problem. As I understand it, when a device is visible in "Virtual Windows", it dismounts from the Mac side and vice versa. Although I can appreciate this, it does not help with getting the thing recognised.

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I googled and found this...

No virtualization supports firewire devices directly in the guest OS. Fusion can let you access any mounted local disk (firewire, IDE, etc) using VMware Shared Folders or Windows/File Sharing. This allows you get at storage but no other firewire devices.

Firewire is more prevalent on the Mac, that's it has not been a past focus of x86-on-x86 virtualization. I have no idea about futures in this area. I can't see it coming frankly.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Giulio

Thats cleared that up then. At least I only have the trial version of VM Fusion, and have not yet wasted my money on it.
It's a real shame as video cameras are probably the main thing to connect by firewire, so you think they would be supported.

Many thanks again for your help, and to all who have taken the time to reply

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome - sorry it didn't work out for you.

Can't you get the video off the camera with a mac program? Then just get to the data from window through the host share.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.