sony mp3 a no-go on macs :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
crap now I need to get a new mp3 player.. DO I have to get an ipod? are there other mp3 players that are compatible? I hear the i-river works?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
Send Sony an email asking why they don't support macs. It's not Apple that's the problem here. And check to see if an application like Limewire might be able to manage your music files on your Sony. I know there's a few applications available (freeware/shareware) with built-in media library management features. Limewire's library works decently, I don't know if it'll support an mp3 player since I've never tried, but if you can still mount the mp3 player like a hard drive then Limewire might not have a problem recognizing it as another hard drive to put and find music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Yes, I agree its Sony. Last year we bought a Sony HD hard drive video camera. To cut a long story short, the software supplied was for Windows. IMovie HD/QT/iDVD did not work becuase of Sony's proprietary format.

Sony offered a link in their instruction booklet for the Mac software for the camera (the same software they supply for Windows users), and guess, what - they wanted me to pay £55 for it!

No way was I paying Sony again after paying £££ for the camera, so downloaded visual hub, which cost me a tenner and does a lot more.

Why can they not just supply both formats! It's ridiculous. I know other Mac users who have sent these Sony cams back on principle.

Reaction score
Whats wrong with the ipod, they aren't exactly expensive any more, they're fairly reliable. I broke several creative zens and a few other miscelaneous mp3s before i got an ipod, i've not actually broken one since.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whats wrong with the ipod, they aren't exactly expensive any more,.

well you are lucky b/c here they are! It's crazy a few hundred! nd that's not even the itouch! and the mini's aren't available here and they're suppose to less than $100?

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know.. try telling that to the stores here.. one store doesn't carry it the other is constantly sold out (go figure haha) may just order one online.

also does it have to be itunes? or can I upload any music on to an ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
you have to use itunes to put the music on an ipod, but it can be any music that you have got, downloads are cds or anything..

also, with your sony mp3, can you not just drag the music files on it like a hard drive? or does it not even show up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Sony is worse than Microsoft when it comes to interoperability. There are devices that I will not buy from Sony simply because it's not Mac compatible! Stupid of them!

HDD camcorder
Reader (eBook)

And what stinks is that Sony has the best technology/quality for the price in my opinion.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you have to use itunes to put the music on an ipod, but it can be any music that you have got, downloads are cds or anything..

also, with your sony mp3, can you not just drag the music files on it like a hard drive? or does it not even show up?

huh? it has to be itunes but I can use any cd or download??

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
try searching here.

http://anythingbutipod.com/

they may have a solution for your sony player. it's pretty hit and miss though. i have a sandisk player, and while some of them can use a third party app to help osx access them, mine is not supported yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
huh? it has to be itunes but I can use any cd or download??

you can take cds and downloads and put them into itunes (just like any other media player) and then put them onto an ipod. it does not have to be music that you have purchased through the itunes store, but you have to have the songs in the itunes program to be able to put them on the ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
But remember certain files, like .wma files, won't import into iTunes. Check the compatibility of your library with iTunes before taking the plunge.

Reaction score
£160 for 80gigs, i've not seen better value over here.

£220 for the 160 which I got, brilliant bit of kit even if it still doesn't store all my music.

OP
cdnphotog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its all good.. I was in NYC this weekend and picked up a nano. Saved myself almost $60 to!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.