%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
uld be %@ instead of %@)",2)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I had put a post up last month and someone suggested booting my computer up with the 1st installation disc. I was told to hold down the c button as the computer restarted. I tried this but it didn't work. Each time it started to install Mac OSX and then when I cancelled that, it asked me if I wanted to boot up using a network operating system, the one off the disc, or the one on my hard drive. Each time I tried using the one off the disc, the cycle repeated. Finally, I used the hard drive and the computer started up normally.

I am still relatively new to Macs. I have no idea how to solve this. I'm just slightly bummed to have a problem. What could cause the initial problem with Disc Utility in the first place? What do I do now?

thanks,
noam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Can you try the disc one more time? It will ask you about your language as if it's trying to install the OS, but before it trys to do anything to your system you'll get a window and dialog box with choices. Instead of using any of those installation choices, go to the menu bar and look for Disk Utility in one of the pulldown menus.

Btw, are you using Tiger (v10.4) or Leopard (v10.5)? If you're still having trouble, knowing that might allow one of us to help walk you through the process.

OP
O
Reaction score
I use Tiger. I'll try that first thing in the morning when I have the discs again. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
DiskWarrior 4 is a great investment for maintaining a healthy hard drive. Did you actually use the 'Repair Disk' button after using Disk Verify?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.