• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thinking about becoming an Apple Tech.

Reaction score
Well I was presented with the idea earlier today that maybe I should become a Apple Technician. I also saw that they offered an online course to help prepare you for ASCE. Right now I'm a college student planning on majoring in Computer Engineering(CPE) and I really want a job that would better utilize my talents. I have a stronger background with Windows based platforms(hate Windows, Apple till the day I die. lol) but I'm eager to learn more and I'm not completely in the dark when in comes to Macs.

Here are a few questions I have:
What exactly is the ASCE like?(what exactly did it require you to know)
What excatly is the a Apple Techs job like? (I'm assuming its just like any other tech job.)

Any helpful information would be appreciated. If you have any input at all don't hesitate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
i would assume it would be like any other apple tech job, but no a job you want for life, tech jobs are usually the lowest of he low in the computer world, it could be good experience for future.

OP
X
Reaction score
i would assume it would be like any other apple tech job, but no a job you want for life, tech jobs are usually the lowest of he low in the computer world, it could be good experience for future.

Yes, Just like you said I'm not going to pursue it as a career or anything like that but just to get some experience for the future. Thats the main reason I'm considering this job. I'm currently working somewhere where there is barely any computer related interactions, so my next job I want to pursue something that would somewhat benefit my future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if apples market share keeps growing, it could become a much looked for job :)

but i thought MAc's were perfect, don't crash or break, so why do they need tech support ;) ;) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
they can, they're electronics :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So apple doesnt have some magic electronics that never break, why did i buy this macbook then! ;) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Aluminum iMac C2D 2.0 Ghz/4 Gb Ram/250 Gb HDD/ etc....
At least as an Apple tech when a new machine comes in to work on......it's Pretty!!!1 there sure are some ugly PC's out there!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...tech jobs are usually the lowest of he low in the computer world...

What makes you say that? An experienced, competent computer technician can be invaluable in a corporate IT setting. Maybe not working in a big box store, but there's certainly lucrative positions out there for an educated, certified and skilled technician.

OP
X
Reaction score
What makes you say that? An experienced, competent computer technician can be invaluable in a corporate IT setting. Maybe not working in a big box store, but there's certainly lucrative positions out there for an educated, certified and skilled technician.

Yea my dad started out as a technician nows hes a Computer Engineer. He said when he was a technician working for one of the big companies around the Houston area he was making right around 50k(which doesn't seem to bad to me).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you get that far ahead, certainly, i myself am one of them :)

i had meant it more very entry level tech, even working for apple, i am sure the support people arent the best treated over all, or best paid.

if you can get into a company to be the IT guy, now a days they want years of experience and often degree after degree or certification :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.