is it damaging to leave the power adapter plugged in at all times?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 120 G Hard Drive
i was just wondering if it was ok if i left my macbook plugged in rather than taking it out and charging it up all the time?:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
yes its fine. try to use the battery every once in a while though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Powerbook G4, 1.5 ghz powerpc processor, 1.25gb ram, 80gb hd, OSX 10.5
sweet name and a great book..yaqui way of knowledge.

it's good to cycle your battery every know and then

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Leopard 10.5.2
Mac Power Adapter

You should not keep any kind of laptop plugged in all the time. That is because if you keep it in all the time, your computers' battery will blow since it never gets to work on its own.
I say you should probably keep your computer plugged in until it is fully charged, then when it is done charging, just keep it unplugged until around 10% is left.

Good Luck! :D

Hope I could help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I use my MBP during the day at school. When I'm using it at my desk at home and there is a full battery, I take the battery out (leaving the MB plugged in). This just keeps the heat from the laptop being transferred to the battery than can shorten it's life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
I use my MBP during the day at school. When I'm using it at my desk at home and there is a full battery, I take the battery out (leaving the MB plugged in). This just keeps the heat from the laptop being transferred to the battery than can shorten it's life.

take a look at your max cpu speed when you remove the battery. it should go down.

thats one reason i leave my battery installed. i had a macbook 1.83, that when battery was out, highest it would go was 1.00ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
As long as you let the battery discharge completely once a month then it shouldn't matter if you keep it plugged in or not.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edited reprint, and you may want to check out this thread

My MBP is now 12 1/2 months old. I use mine as a desktop replacement. It is basically plugged into AC power at all times and is in use at least 4 and up to 12 hrs a day. The battery has never been removed. Once in a while I'll take it into another room or sit outside on battery power.

According to coconutBattery, the battery is 14 months old, it's been thru 5 loadcycles, and still is at 89% of original capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4ghz Aluminum
when i know that i will be using for a long time, i take the battery out and just run on AC Power

however, if i know i will want to move the laptop around, then battery's on for sure..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
You should not keep any kind of laptop plugged in all the time. That is because if you keep it in all the time, your computers' battery will blow since it never gets to work on its own.
I say you should probably keep your computer plugged in until it is fully charged, then when it is done charging, just keep it unplugged until around 10% is left.

Good Luck! :D

Hope I could help!

That seems like a lot of work. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
edited reprint, and you may want to check out this thread

My MBP is now 12 1/2 months old. I use mine as a desktop replacement. It is basically plugged into AC power at all times and is in use at least 4 and up to 12 hrs a day. The battery has never been removed. Once in a while I'll take it into another room or sit outside on battery power.

According to coconutBattery, the battery is 14 months old, it's been thru 5 loadcycles, and still is at 89% of original capacity.

year and a half 11 cycles and i have done the same as you stays plugged in
unless i go to another room then i'm on battery the longest being 2hr.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.