conecting to external hd

Reaction score
hi all ive neva had trouble before saving to my external hd tonight ive tried to transfer files and it says the hd cant be modified? any ideas i thought they where like a usb stick and didnt matter? or is a format issues?

OP
F
Reaction score
ok its windows formated wont it take a mac file then :( other wise ill have to get my own one and not be able to transfer from my mac to pc!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's likely formatted as NTFS. readable by a mac, but you won't be able to modify or delete any files on that disk.

if you reformat the drive as FAT32, you will have full access to the drive from OSX and windows.

you could also format it in HFS+ (mac), and use a third party program to read/write to the disk from a windows machine (can't think of the name of the program).

OP
F
Reaction score
hmm the only thing its for the family and they dont want to loose all whats on there o well my loss ill have to buy one for myself thanks all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.