iMac and dual monitor

Reaction score
ok, well i got the mini-dv to dvi-d cable when i bought my mac, plugged it into my 19" viewsonic, and it worked great... for 30 minutes. Whenever i let the computer sleep and go to refresh it, only the iMacs monitor wakes up, my viewsonic kinda just sits there with the power light flashing, i know its getting signal because as soon as i unplug the dvi cable, the no signal warning flashes, i plug it back in it goes away. The only way to get that monitor to show the picture again is a series of unplugs, power downs and computer restarts. Sometimes it works after the first time, sometimes i need to do it 10 times. Let me tell you that gets old real fast. any ideas, but im about ready to just toss it. i dont have the money to buy a new monitor and i need the dual monitor set up, ive had it for to long to where i couldn't get rid of it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You could just try the "Detect Displays" option from your System Preferences under 'Display'.
I keep mine in the Menu Bar so it is available from a drop-down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Is the second monitor a CRT? Mine is a flatpanel and does not do that. If you have a flat panel handy try this first. Have your tried turning off the second monitor and then back on (my guess is yes)?

OP
G
Reaction score
You could just try the "Detect Displays" option from your System Preferences under 'Display'.
I keep mine in the Menu Bar so it is available from a drop-down.

never thought of that, ill try it next time it happens. thanks you

Chilbear said:
Is the second monitor a CRT? Mine is a flatpanel and does not do that. If you have a flat panel handy try this first. Have your tried turning off the second monitor and then back on (my guess is yes)?

nope, its a flat panel, Viewsonic VX922, one of the higher end displays out when i bought it. turning it off does nothing, as soon as its turned back on the power light goes back to flashing.

OP
G
Reaction score
still being a PITA. it detects the display, right away, but the power light still flashes and the screen is blank. im getting very aggravated. i cant figure this out.

EDIT: If the monitor has power and the DVI cable isnt connected, the power light stays solid, and obviously no picture shows up. The second I connect the DVI cable, the iMac recognizes it, but no image is displayed on the monitor and the power light begins to flash. I have restarted and everything, im at a loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.