does the ram speed of new mac pro make huge difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
does the ram speed from 667 mhz to 800 mhz make a huge difference in the new mac pro?

I'm just wondering if real world performance of say, the single quad penryn with everything updated would be significantly better than the 2.66 quad of yesterday?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes it would make a difference. A noticeable I'd assume. But there is one little catch. Most apps aren't designed to make use of this 800mhz ram yet. So I'd just stick with the 667mhz stuff for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
Yes it would make a difference. A noticeable I'd assume. But there is one little catch. Most apps aren't designed to make use of this 800mhz ram yet. So I'd just stick with the 667mhz stuff for now.

An app doesnt need to be "designed" to make use of it. The application doesn't control how fast the date is sent from A to B, it will be sent at 800MHz regardless. It's not like a dual core processor or such where an application needs to be designed to make sure of a specific new technology. Thats like saying "Well, this program isn't designed for a 3.0GHz processor instead of a 2.4GHz, so there wont be any speed boost in upgrading"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.