Problems encountered in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo; 4 gigs RAM
So, I spent all of today 'editing info' of my music library, adding artis names and track titles. I download files that are never ID3 tagged and thus had to go through this long exercise. However after finishing I decided to clean out my library and re-add all my tracks. Now I see that among all the changes that I had made only a handful has been preserved. All the other tracks are back to normal.

I decided to test it again and picked out two tracks at random. The 'artist' field was empty, because wave files are never properly tagged. The artists name as well as the track name with a - separator is displayed in the 'name' field like this:

Artists - Trackname (Mix Name)

Thus I copied the name of the artist to the 'artist' field and the 'Name' field was left showing:

Trackname (Mix Name)

After restarting I-Tunes I removed these 2 tracks and added them again.

THE TAGS DISAPPEARED!!!

Fyi. I'm using Mac OSX's Leopard.

Anyone come across a similar situation? Remedies?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Most times (unless you turn it off) itunes copies the songs to it's own music folder and uses those to play your songs. And leaves your originals alone. So you edited the tags for the new song (in the itunes folder). And you removed that one to the trash. But when you re-added the song back, you added your original track again which just copied it back into the itunes folder. THis original still has the not right tags as they were never edited. And the edited tags song should be in the trash.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo; 4 gigs RAM
Most times (unless you turn it off) itunes copies the songs to it's own music folder and uses those to play your songs. And leaves your originals alone. So you edited the tags for the new song (in the itunes folder). And you removed that one to the trash. But when you re-added the song back, you added your original track again which just copied it back into the itunes folder. THis original still has the not right tags as they were never edited. And the edited tags song should be in the trash.

I know what u mean. True that most times (unless I turn it off) I-Tunes copies the songs to it's own music folder and uses those to play songs. However that option IS turned off in my case so the problem has to lie somewhere else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.