External HDD...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone :)

Currently using my 10.4 based macbook to do all of my university work and so the internal HDD is pretty full ^_^
I have an external HDD here ready to go but am wondering how easy (and how for that matter :p) to pointn iLife suites such as iTunes and iPhoto to the external?

With 15GB of music and a good few GB of photos, if i could have iTunes and iPhoto use the external HDD for the library it would be a HUGE help.

Thanks people!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
I haven't used Iphoto, but I know in Itunes settings and preferences, theres a tab that allows you to choose where Itunes should store music and where to look for music.

You just need to change the default local folder listed in that tab, to a folder on your external drive. Then I would imagin just drag and drop all the songs to the external at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Here's what you do.

iTunes: Move your entire iTunes folder (in users > Music ) to the external drive. Then, while launching iTunes, hold down the option key. It will allow you to select your music library. Point it to your external drive.

iPhoto: If you are using iPhoto 08 (the latest one with Events and such) then the process is really simple. Just copy the entire iPhoto library file from your Users > Pictures folder and when it is dumped on the external drive, just double click it. You can also do the same "hold down option key" thing while launching iPhoto.

Be sure to backup your stuff before you try any of this. As a safeguard, 'copy' your stuff to the external instead of moving it. This has worked for me very well...

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Unfortuntly im not using the new iPhoto, although i beleive its as easy as creating a new library on the external? Can anyone back that up?

Cheers for your help so far goobimama & damainman :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well if you aren't using the latest iPhoto, do the same as with the iTunes library. Move the entire iPhoto library over to the external and hold down Option to select it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.