OS X Serial Numbers

Reaction score
I'm not trying to crack systemes or anything illegal here but I was curious as to how the serial number works on OS X disks.

In Windows you have to enter a CD key that is on the sticker sent along with your disk.

My question is that with Mac you don't have to enter a CD key and with these CD's being mass produced how does each one get a unique serial number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You are correct, you don't have a CD key. Each Mac has a unique serial number, not the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And why did apple chose to do down this route with no serial for the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Presumably since it does not cost that much in the first place and (at least in the past) Apple's low market share would have made it less interesting for the professional software pirates, I guess.

It would also be more expensive to administer a system with individual serial numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
End result is we don't have to bother with serial numbers, activation and all that hassle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Do you actually think they are not tracking machines and their serial numbers?

Every update we do gives them the chance to update their records. Hopefully they will stay the course but who knows? Nothing in life is free...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Do you actually think they are not tracking machines and their serial numbers?

Every update we do gives them the chance to update their records. Hopefully they will stay the course but who knows? Nothing in life is free...
Rubbish. If Apple was doing something of the sort, people would know about it.

Besides, iWork requires a serial number, as do all of the Pro apps. OS X Server also requires a serial number and even scans your local network for duplicate serial number usage. So it's not as though Apple doesn't care about piracy - but they choose not to both regular consumers with serial numbers and activation.

Everyone who buys a Mac has already paid for at least one copy of OS X and the fact that Apple trusts its users to buy future upgrades says a lot about the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The basics are Apple are selling computers and then designing operating systems whereas Microsoft are just doing the system thing and need to much, much more closely regard illegal sales and installations.

Look at how every time one goes to check on updates for XP it is necessary to go through the process of checking the operating system. Remember Microsoft asking for all that info on what the install disc looked like, whether it was supplied with the computer etc?

Please this is not criticism of MS as I have a Dell Latitude running XP Pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Harry is right, Apple get their money because you have to buy a mac to get the OS

Then the upgrades to the next OS are reasonable, so people are far less inclined to get a pirate copy (it does happen but not as much)

Reaction score
because you need a mac to install the OS in the first place, and seeing as all macs will come with and OS in the first place (from new anyway) it doesn't matter all that much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
$129 for an OS....

That is reasonable enough for me to just buy it and forget the hassle of trying to evade the piracy police/protection.

Microsoft decides to charge up to $500 for an OS (i.e Vista Ultimate), no wonder people pirate it. Not to mention Vista is less than amazing.

When I decided to upgrade to Leopard, I had no second thoughts in paying the $129 for the disc. To get the most advanced OS in the world for a fraction of what the "competition" offers theirs is great!

The price of the OS is reasonable. Hence the number of legitimate copies of the OS running on computers will be much higher. I think Apple is showing a great trust in their consumer-base for not needing keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
^^ key word "up to" $500, you can get home premium OEM for $140. and other versions for $100.

cost isn't a reason to pirate, it is a lame excuse cause you don't "need" Ultimate edition, or "need" vista, OS X most "advance" OS, give me a break, most of what OS X is it got from past OS's already in the *nix and windows world. (yes i know ms has gotten it's idea's from the *nix world as well, they are all guilty of stealing others ideas)

OS leopard is pirated period, just open your eyes a little, but since their market share is a fraction, the damage done isnt near as bad as MS nor is it heard of as often,, in fact pirating software for MAC is almost easier as you can simply copy an entire directory from one system to another, no copy protection, or very little to get around, did you not hear of the various kids walking into stores with ipod and usb drives copying software from MAC's... cant do that in windows, you need the disks. (the registry sucks, but it makes this type of piracy harder)

If apple wasn't a "hardware" company first, they would make it more complex if you could install the OS on any hardware, which you now don't need a MAC to do so since now they are using hardware pc's have for years, you can buy specific hardware off the shelf and build your own mac more or less now, and if that trend continues, dont think for a second Apple wont make it more complex for you, cause when people pirate, things are never hard for them, it just makes it worse for the legit people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
^^ key word "up to" $500, you can get home premium OEM for $140. and other versions for $100.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but just a note that OEM is not the same license as Retail Box.

So since Apple doesn't have different licenses per OS X disc that goes out, you have to consider it a retail box product. An OEM OS X disc would be the recovery disc that comes with the purchase of a Mac.

You cannot compare Microsoft OEM licenses to Apple Retail Boxes. The purpose of the two licenses and discs are different.

The most direct comparison would be a Retail Box of Vista Home Premium to the OS X Leopard box that you can buy in the Apple Store $399 vs $129 (CDN $'s) is quite the difference and would be enough of a difference to have me buy the disc instead of download it.

Not to mention that the Leopard disc has everything on it instead of having 4 (3 consumer level) versions that may have "limited" functionality compared to Ultimate. But that is a different debate altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yeah. Multiply that into two for 32bit/64bit versions :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
$129 for an OS....

That is reasonable enough for me to just buy it and forget the hassle of trying to evade the piracy police/protection.

Microsoft decides to charge up to $500 for an OS (i.e Vista Ultimate), no wonder people pirate it. Not to mention Vista is less than amazing.

You're probably right, that's what happens, but it's still completely wrong. Just because something is expensive, doesn't make it morally more acceptable to pirate it. If people don't value something enough to pay what it costs, they should not have it, even if it is not worth what is being asked for it. If you see something on the market for a price you're not willing to pay, you don't pay it and you don't have it - you can't steal it and say, 'well you know it should have been cheaper'

I hear this argument about MS products all the time, but they just don't stand up to any scrutiny. If people don't want to pay for Vista Ultimate, they should buy Vista Basic, or XP or use Linux (which is free) or maybe get a Mac next time. If someone cannot afford a Porsche, you don't say it's ok to steal it, you expect them to by a Ford or a Toyota.

[/end rant]

:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I hear this argument about MS products all the time, but they just don't stand up to any scrutiny. If people don't want to pay for Vista Ultimate, they should buy Vista Basic, or XP or use Linux (which is free) or maybe get a Mac next time. If someone cannot afford a Porsche, you don't say it's ok to steal it, you expect them to by a Ford or a Toyota.

A bit of a double-edged sword this pirating. One could wonder if Microsoft would actually prefer someone to use a pirated copy of Vista or to install Linux, which you point out is free. They have no revenue in both cases but in the first case they have increased their user base. Similar when Adobe claims that x thousand pirated copies of Photoshop or Dreamweaver or whatever exists and therefore claims to have lost revenues to an amount of the retail price times x. Does it really mean that everyone would have bought Photoshop if pirating was impossible? Or have Adobe simply gained a larger number of users to their products?

This thought has of course nothing to do with the fact that it is illegal in any case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
for vista no, your 32bit license works on 64bit disks and vice versa, MS was supposed to ship both 64 and 32bit on the same disk, i think they do with ultimate, but not the others, but not sure.

true Kam, but i wasn't aware i could take my single license of Leopard and install it on a new mac if i bought one (of course removing it from the other) ?

What apple does do right is the family license packs, for pretty cheap.

Having one OS version is nice, but it is also nice to have some options (something apple was seldom known for), being in IT, you don't want to have an OS on your workers systems that has everything on it, you want a trimmed down one (buisness)

Reaction score
OS X piracy is not nearly as wide spread not because of the price of software but because of the target market. Windows targets anyone and people in poor countries end up gathering something like $500 for a whole computer and then $120 is a huge chunk of money so they chose to pirate the OS. After all they probably work 1/2 month for $120. On the other hand the cheapest mac is a little less than 1k ( considerably more in less developed countries ). If you are willing to spend $1500 on average for a computer do you really think that $120 every 2 years for an OS upgrade would be a problem? I don't think so. Then there is the issue of getting clear improvements in either functionality or performance ( or both ) while with Windows the improvements are sometimes very subjective topic.
Anyway I think that the main reason why Apple does not use serial keys on the OS installation is because they have never had a piracy problem and even with the rise of hackintoshed a serial key will likely hurt the paying users rather than prevent the pirates from stealing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.