• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

College frat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
my rugby team is like a fraternity in its own except only 30 bucks a year and we can live in whatever residences we like

OP
I

Icarus

So tonight was the FIRST NIGHT of initiation.
I was kinda worried because of this whole 'hazing' stuff.
but it was A LOT OF FUN!
I am drinked.
Immagobednow. You fellas have a GRRRREEEEEEEAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT Night!
I love all of you!

OP
N

nicholas

For a lot of big colleges, greek life is the way to go. No, you're not "paying" for friends. That's just BS. Like Chicoweb said, dues go towards sorority exchanges and social events, community service activities, house maintenance and upkeep, food (if your frat house has a cook), formal balls, etc. Some frats haze, some don't, but all like to call it "pledge educating." I myself was in a frat at USC, where 33% of the student body is greek. My personal opinion is that when you're not in a frat, you sit on the sidelines and watch college life. When you're in one, you LIVE it.

They say the friends you make in college are the friends you have for life. The friendships you develop in a brotherhood is NOT fake, but contrarily, is very real, and very tangible. On that note, would you rather graduate having 10 close friends and connections into the world, or 50? You make the choice. Icarus already has, and in my opinion, the right one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You don't have to join a frat to have friends and fun, come on.. what kind of an arguement is that? :) They do have their benefits and they have their downfalls.. it depends on the type of person you are and the type of frat that you are joining or not joining.. Regardless you can make friends, very close friends, whether you join a frat or not.

OP
I

Icarus

Yeah - but you make more friends in a fraternity near as I can tell so far. Last night I met about 20 guys who all think I'm cool, just because I wanted to join their house. So now not only do I have those 20 guys who are cool, but I also have all of THEIR friends who by association will think I'm cool. Last night I was wearing my sigep shirt while walking around, and this cute girl yelled out as I passed, "Sig Ep ROCKS!"

OP
N

nicholas

Murlyn, you're very right. Frats are not for everyone. That "weeding out" process is the whole idea of the semester or year long pledge program. To find those who really want it, and those who feel fraternities are not for them. And yes, of course you don't need frats to have friends, or lots of them, BUT to be in one assures you many connections, and like Icarus said, even more when the degrees of separation between people blend together. Frats organize interfraternity and intersorority exchanges not only within other organizations in the college, but within the greater state. Heck, some even travel to other states! That can of course happen with your dorm room friends, but not nearly with the frequency, the quality, and the enjoyment you'd get from an official greek organization.

And while girls yelling out "Sip Eg rocks!" and such may be superficial, still, you're in college, and superficial or not, things like that are fun and cool. And hey, if you live in LA like I do, superficiality rules the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I agree, I just didn't agree with your blanket statements :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

There aren't any frats at my school..so even if I wanted to join one...it would do me no good. I have my own frat though, it's called my house...there is enough craziness in this house to go toe to toe with most frats.

OP
I

Icarus

so I got initiated tonight - so far there has been no hazing...well, they did call me short...but they did give me a pin.

I must admit it did seem a little cult like when we all joined hands and moved back in forth chanting this chant thing...but other than that, it was really cool.

OP
N

nicholas

Wait, you got initiated already? Didn't you just become a pledge??? That's the shortest pledge program ever! Unless you meant you "officially" became a pledge, and thus, the TRUE program is about to begin. Hold onto your panties now...

And NO, elephant walk is a stupid urban legend. If any frat actually did make their pledges do it, they'd DP sooner than you can say "what does DP mean?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
That's what the frat pres told you to say, isn't it?

OP
N

nicholas

gort said:
That's what the frat pres told you to say, isn't it?

I was the frat president, and to answer your question again, NO, that is not what I told people to say. Instead of making moronic assumptions, why don't you join a frat and see for yourself? Oh...wait, you're probably 14. You probably also secretly want the elephant walk to exist so you can partake, huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
no I'm 21, and I'm busy enough as it is with college. I don't need to pay annual dues for boyfriends. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Alright guys take it easy, lets not get out of control in here

OP
P

psychotoe

ok I have never joined a frat so what is The elephant walk, and what's a haze?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.