Strange problem: websites time out on Leopard iMac...but load on PC!?

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experienced my issue as I am out of ideas!

I have a PowerPC 4 iMac running Leopard. I have 2 shared hosting accounts with several websites served on each. All of the websites on the one server will absolutely not load on my Mac....but all load fine on my Dell PC and testing PC. The sites on my other server load no problem. This happened yesterday but were loading fine before that.

I use Firefox as a rule, but have tried Safari, Netscape and Opera just to see any sites would load in alternate browsers. No go. I have cleared all caches and rebooted. Still no sites will load. All other websites load fine (other then mine) so it seemed like it was a problem with my hosting provider. I have sent in a help ticket about it but have not yet heard. The fact that all the sites function 100% normal on my PC's makes this really weird!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are a some of the websites I am having issue with:

www.mmm-gems.com
www.natural-future.com
www.natures-child.com
www.book-of-light.com

Perhaps a kind member here would consider seeing if my sites load on their mac? Then I can rule it out as being a general Mac issue and perhaps something to do with my system....

Thanks in advance. :)
Melanie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Load no troubles at all.

Pop your install DVD in and reboot. Run verify disk and then repair permissions from there. Have a cup of coffee - takes about twenty minutes.

Safari is a little, or a lot buggy. Finding Firefox 3.02beta is fast and secure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Assuming you have a router, you may need to reboot it.
In my experience, quirks in connection speed/page loading, etc between a Windows machine and a Mac on the same network almost always boil down to the router being flaky.

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Hi there,

Thanks so much for the advice. I have verified the disk, repaired permissions and rebooted my router. There were some "SUID" warnings that are apparently normal. I also ran Macaroni, did a hard reboot, checked the logs for ? something stand-out-ish and sent oodles of love and happy thoughts into my machine O:) and alas...still nothing has changed. The websites all time out...but of course everything else is running perfectly! :Grimmace:

Still no word from my host yet either. Just weird...

Any more ideas anyone? :)

Many thanks,
Melanie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
hmmm wierd... they all load fine for me too.

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Hey, thanks for checking... :)

Still no word from my host. I was thinking that maybe they have software that is blocking my IP or something...? Dunno...but I'm getting a little frustrated.

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
OKAY...so...uhm, yeah it's all back just like that. Didn't hear a word from my host and didn't really do anything at all it's just all back now. *shrugs* :) I can deal with it!

Wouldn't mind knowing what went on there but oh well...

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It could have been a DNS (domain name serve) issue.

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Well...they're all down again. :(

Maybe it is a DNS issue? How would I find out? Or you mean on my hosts end?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Yep...... I can't access them either. Who's your hosting provider?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Well...they're all down again. :(

Maybe it is a DNS issue? How would I find out? Or you mean on my hosts end?
That would be on your hosting end. Since they are suppling the modem and ip address.

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Yep...... I can't access them either. Who's your hosting provider?

Really? Hmmm, so it isn't just me anymore. I'm using IX Webhosting.

That would be on your hosting end. Since they are suppling the modem and ip address.

Right, ok thanks.

I'm currently on hold with IX... I'll let you know if I get anywhere :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
They load up fine.

See your into a bit of the gothic scene (never got what it's about) but great looking sites.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are all loading here on a Power PC iMac G5 with 10.5.1 Leopard. AT&T DSL here in California. Sounds like a DNS issue to me also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
they all load fine on my macbook with leopard and AT&T DSL

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Thanks so much for helping me to test this everyone! :)

I have talked with my hosting provider who has checked everything from their end...all good. He had me check the sites using https://www.megaproxy.com/ and they all loaded ok there. So it does seem to be something here causing the issue. He recommended I check with my ISP, which I did and they say it seems to be an isolated machine incident, nothing they can find that would cause this as they don't do any filtering or blocking...

I think it is some kind of bug with Leopard...as I just upgraded about a week ago. But I have nothing to base that on but intuition. ;-)

I am trying OpenDNS but not seeing any changes. I disabled IPv6, as I haven't been able to see my windows shares either (another unrelated issue) but I don't think this would help me anyhow.

I used: dscacheutil -flushcache to clear the DNS cache and tried to load the sites again....no-go.

Apparently, some people are having a similar issue with Safari.

My head actually hurts and I am spinning just a little from the search for answers on this.:Grimmace:

I found this: http://aplawrence.com/MacOSX/firefox_google.html that seems to be similar to what I am experiencing so my search continues. Maybe now that IPv6 is off I will see something happen? Dunno.

Maybe I should start caching my own DNS?

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
They load up fine.

See your into a bit of the gothic scene (never got what it's about) but great looking sites.

He he...kinda. I run a metaphysical shop "New Age Emporium" www.mmm-gems.com/store so not exactly "goth" but close I guess. :D I am more into the "anything goes" scene as long as it is open minded, done with love and brings a person some joy I'm in! Thanks for the nice comment on my sites. I am actually working on updating all of them to run using Joomla!. This all started while I was doing admin backend work on my new site www.book-of-light.com ...which I WAS going to have live within a week, but this is really setting me back!!

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
Sorry for the triple post...

BUT, after posting I checked so see if my sites would load and VOILA they loaded! I don't want to get my hopes up too much yet... but it seems that either turning off IPv6 worked or using OpenDNS...

COOL! I hope things remain working!! :D

OP
MMM

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G4 Leopard
All Fixed

Hi...

So, my router had been hijacked! I am not sure of details, but basically when I went to configure my router there was a strange IP acting as the gateway...not your regular 192.168.0.1 IP, but 72.172.170.1... This is some kind of router phishing dealy. I am guessing that the old PC I connected to use as a testing machine had a virus that allowed this...? I am performing full scans now.

I feel sort of embarrassed *blush* why didn't I check that first? DUH

Ah well...everything works great now. I really appreciate all the help I received :)

Anyone here ever have this happen? Crazy. Could a virus cause this? I am assuming and I plan to investigate further! :Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.