messenger icon on desktop

Reaction score
Hello
Every time i start up msn messenger an icon appears on the desktop and won't go away. It's the little disk drive looking white thing most downloaded applications come with but most can be put in a folder and they stay there, messenger just keeps coming back and is starting to become an annoyance.
All suggestions welcome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'll bet you have MSN Messenger in the Dock, right?

What's probably happened is, you've saved the downloaded .dmg Disk Image file instead of the actual MSN Messenger app. When you click on the MSN icon in the dock, the system mounts the Disk Image (the white disk) and launches Messenger from that.

What you need to do is copy Messenger from that white disk icon to your Applications folder. Then find the .dmg file and delete it. Remove the Messenger icon from your dock and replace it with the one from your Applications folder.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
fabio said:
c'mon, pleas dont use MSN on mac.

its bullSH***

use adium ( http://www.adiumx.com/ ) its opensource, and it understands MSN, ICQ, AIM, ...
I don't think Adium handles MSN well at all, but if you also use AIM, ICQ, or Yahoo!, go with Adium. If you don't, stick with MSN.

P

PinkPhishDoors

MSN messenger is horrible, for any platform... Any program you install on a Windows asks you to disable it when your using the program or it will screw it up. I don't use MSN messenger but I bet Adium works fine. I just started using Adium about 3 days ago, it makes these funny quacking sounds. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
msn messenger is alright on a mac

P

PowerbookG417

another choice..i never tried this Adium yet..i myself have been using Dmsn the last couple months with not many issues at all either, it gives you the ability to have avatars..not sure if that is a feature of Adium or not

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
PowerbookG417 said:
another choice..i never tried this Adium yet..i myself have been using Dmsn the last couple months with not many issues at all either, it gives you the ability to have avatars..not sure if that is a feature of Adium or not
A. dMSN is Java based. And Java sucks.
B. Adium has avatars. But really, pointless feature.
PinkPhishDoors said:
MSN messenger is horrible, for any platform... Any program you install on a Windows asks you to disable it when your using the program or it will screw it up. I don't use MSN messenger but I bet Adium works fine. I just started using Adium about 3 days ago, it makes these funny quacking sounds. :)
A. MSN on both platforms is great.
B. We were not talking about Windows in this thread. All Mac.
C. "I don't use MSN Messenger" Conflicts with your statement that states "MSN messenger is horrible, for any platform..."
D. The quacking noises kinda **** me off, not used to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
iChat only works with .Mac and AIM unforunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ichat doesnt use msn.

D

dglenn

Adium

I know this is an old posting but, I wanted to say thanks for the tip (Adium).
Adium is just what I want to communicate with MSNers. It's as it should be for a Mac

...customizable and stable.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.