Seagate Freeagent Pro External Drive - Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I got the 320GB Seagate Freeagent pro for Christmas. It's the one that will work with both Firewire and USB 2.0.

The drive works great when it's on but that's the thing. I can't get it to turn on half the time!!

Every night before I go to bed I shut down the computer and then turn the drive off with it's touch-sensitive power button. That part works like a charm. The next morning though, the drive WILL NOT turn on no matter how long I hold the power button or what tricks I try. The ONLY way to get it to turn on is to unplug the power adapter and then plug it back in.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or is there anything else I could try? Maybe the drive is defective?

OP
The_Grudge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I recieved a response from Seagate today. Very helpful :Smirk:
I may take it back to the store and get another drive but I DO like the firewire and most drives don't offer that at the same price.

Dear David

Thank you for sending your Seagate E-mail inquiry.

We are aware of an issue with turning the drive back on after it has been turned off but we do not have a workaround for it at the present time. I would continue to do what you are doing presently as far as removing the power cable and replugging it back in. This should not hurt the drive in any way.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I have a FreeAgent (not the Pro, though), and I keep it plugged into my macbook. When not using the MB, I simply close the lid (rather than turn it off) so it goes to sleep. The FreeAgent also goes to sleep, and when I wake the computer, the FreeAgent wakes as well. Works like a charm! Ready to get to work at a moment's notice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.