HELP!! burning mac???

T

tha1bas1ard

hi all, i have a flat screen (pre widescreen) imac about 2 yrs old, and one day i was showing a mate some tunes on it when it suddenly cut out. at first i thought it was the screen going to save power mode but when i smelt some burning i started to panic and quickly went to the plugs and disconnected. i hadnt used my mac in a while and i was quite suprised it just cut out on me. now it wont work at all, and if i try and plug it in it starts to make the burning smell again even with out pressing the mac power button on. have you guys any idea what is wrong?? do you think its the power supply unit, or the processor?? i want to get an idea of what s wrong so i can go and take it to my local apple shop. any help would be very much appreciated! cheers. :)

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

DON'T TOUCH IT, UNPLUG IT AND TAKE IT TO A PRO. DON'T TAKE IT APART!. If you have an applecare plan than you should be covered if not, than you will have to pay, but if you smell burning don't do anything yourself.

OP
I

Icarus

I dunno - maybe you should try to fix it yourself.
*NOTE* I have not since given good advice.

OP
V

vuschejan

anarkhy said:
DON'T TOUCH IT, UNPLUG IT AND TAKE IT TO A PRO. DON'T TAKE IT APART!. If you have an applecare plan than you should be covered if not, than you will have to pay, but if you smell burning don't do anything yourself.

Come on anarkhy where is the fun in that? It sounds like a dead power supply, not to much of a problem... If you've never taken one apart or dealt with that I suggest taking it to a Pro, but if you do have experience i'd suggest a new power supply

(Vuschejan is in no way responsible for your actions)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I agree with vuschejan, if you have no idea what you're doing with electronics, take it to a pro.

But if you're not too afraid and skilled, you can check it yourself.
Here's a complete guide on how to change the powersupply on a flatscreen 15" iMac:
http://www.bitsandpieces.info/

(I am, in no terms, responsible of what other people do with their PCs!)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Maybe your iMac is alive! There are a lot of reports saying their 2nd gen iMacs are going crazy now that the new iMac G5s are out...

[Absolute Zero is not responsible for your towns missing toys on Christmas. Really. He had nothing to do with it.]

Yeah I'm bored.

OP
T

tha1bas1ard

i thought it would be a power supply, altho im not gonna take it apart myself... im just gonna take it in and ask for a new psu to be put in to cut down on labour fees. are you guys sure its the psu thats gone? thx in advance. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Just take it to the Apple Store, they'll find the problem...

Maybe...

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

I STRONGLY suggest not touching it, my friend almost got killed replacing a power supply that zapped him, he also got zapped trying to fix my guitar amp(long story, ask me about it sometime). But getting back to my point. Power supplies don't release all of there energy after have the power cut, they store it. My friend was only unscrewing it when it zapped him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anarkhy said:
I STRONGLY suggest not touching it, my friend almost got killed replacing a power supply that zapped him, he also got zapped trying to fix my guitar amp(long story, ask me about it sometime). But getting back to my point. Power supplies don't release all of there energy after have the power cut, they store it. My friend was only unscrewing it when it zapped him.
<morbid>We are going to die anyway.</morbid>

If he *does* know about this, if he *does* know the risks, and if he does this on PCs, he shouldn't have a problem.

[Absolute Zero is not responsible for anyone who follows this advice.]

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

Absolute Zero said:
<morbid>We are going to die anyway.</morbid>

If he *does* know about this, if he *does* know the risks, and if he does this on PCs, he shouldn't have a problem.

[Absolute Zero is not responsible for anyone who follows this advice.]

I am invincible!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.