Upgarde to leopard on a 800mhz ibook

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice as I want to upgrade my ibook to either leopard or tiger. I have looked at tiger a lot on ebay and is going for around about 10 less than leopard.

I know the 800mhz version isn't supported by leopard but I think you can hack it either by changing a file or using another mac to install onto my ibooks hd.

A lot of people have said it works great with their 1ghz model at least so I want to have a go. I have listed my specs below for you to decide

ibook g4
800mhz ppc
640mb of ram (might upgrade to a stick of 1gig)
100gb hd
12inch
new battery installed

I will also be getting a new mac soon but will be a desktop and still want my ibook as a portable one at the same platform.

Also on the ibook I might use spaces but no features like backup and coverflow etc.

Thanx JJ

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, jbaileypro.

Your iBook doesn't make the Leopard minimum requirements (867MHz G4 or faster) as you know. You know about the hack making the rounds on various websites to make Leopard run on non-supported machines but why would you want to use something painfully slow? You'd lose all the fun of using your iBook. Not to mention that it would make the iBook unstable.

I would install Tiger on it, it would run well with added RAM and Tiger and Leopard Macs talk to each other. :)

IMO... Watch eBay, if full install Tiger disks run for about $10 less than Leopard, they're ripping you off. Check out Mac-Forum Buy/Sell/Trade forum for threads already up. If nothing suits you, just start a thread saying you're interested in buying the full install disk of Tiger.

OP
J
Reaction score
Re: not supported

Thanx but the ibooks which were faster than mine in the day when i bought it (around about 1ghz) runs really quite fast on a ibook at that spec, I'm sure another 200mhz less wont make it too bad and people say that leapard makes most machines run faster after upgrading from tiger.

Thanx JJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Watch eBay, if full install Tiger disks run for about $10 less than Leopard, they're ripping you off.
ebay is a ripoff. I was looking for a retail version of Tiger there. OS X 10.4 discs are averaging around $150 - $200 on ebay at the moment... and that doesn't even include the bloated shipping charges people add on to it.
They are creating a false demand for them, claiming that everyone wants to downgrade from Leopard. Hence, they are bloating the price of it way over the original retail cost of $129.00 US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.