Final Cut Pro won't open-trashed preferences already

Reaction score
I paid for Final Cut Pro 6 and have been using it since the summer. I have not used it for about a month and in that time, I updated to 0S 10.4.11 with the intel combo along with all the other updates (quicktime, security, fcp 6.0.02, etc)

Last night, I went to work on an FCP project and it would not open. All that happens is the Final Cut icon will bounce one time and that's it. I've restarted the comp a few times and have trashed the preferences manually and with FCP Rescue.

Does anyone have any pointers at this point? I am appreciative of any advice anyone has to offer.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Remaining memory 19 GB

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not run mine since I updated to 10.4.11. I just ran it and all is okay. Have you repaired permission? I am one of those that do it after every time I install something.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I repaired permissions. I've also tried to open FCP on another account and it doesn't open. Also, Motion (3.0.2) won't open either but the rest (sound, dvd pro etc) will all open.

I also have quicktime 7.3.1 so the requirements for fcp 6.0.2 are all met at this point.

This is a problem that others have posted at other boards but no one seems to have an answer at this point. I'm hoping somewhere here knows how to solve this one.

Thanks again.

OP
G
Reaction score
I got it to work but I had to reinstall the older version.

I trashed Final Cut Application and the receipts for FCP 6.0.2 and all the other Final Cut Studio 2 upgrades that were based on this upgrade.

Next, I reinstalled only Final Cut 6.0 application.

Now, Final Cut and Motion open and work.

I guess the big question for me is what should I do about the 6.0.2 upgrades and will they render my fcp inoperable again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i would upgrade. if it renders you in operable then do what you did again, but it could potentially have been just some random bug.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem... The annoying thing is that FCP used to be fine upgrading and most of my projects are now compatible with upgrade 6.0.4 - but now I can't ugrade FCP at all - if I do I just get the single bounce of the application icon - the only way it works is if I keep it totally non-upgraded.

Gyundae, did you ever manage to crack this? Also, I have noticed quite a lot of turbulence with the other programs in the suite over the last few months and have been re-installing every few weeks..

I'm editing on OSX 10.4.11, the processor is 2 x 3 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon

best, Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.