Remote Desktop from tiger to windows vista.

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Question has nothing to do with forum suggestions/comments*

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried.

So i downloaded it and tried to connect to my PC and it said it wouldn't connect. I have looked at my settings on the PC and everything is right (I think)......any suggestions ?

OP
R
Reaction score
also on remote desktop the computer i am trying to control the status says offline. I have the computer on and connected to the internet and network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
OK, first you need to make sure that the PC itself is able to connect to the network. It should have a valid IP address in either the 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x ranges.

Secondly, I'm assuming that you've got XP Pro and not XP Home. If you have Pro, then you need to right-click on the My Computer icon, select the Properties choice, and then go to the Remote tab in the dialog window that appears. Remote Assistance isn't necessary, but the Remote Desktop settings need to be set to allow, and you need to select a remote user.

Also, you need to make sure that the user has a password. No password = no connection. At least they got that right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Sadly, Vista Basic is the equivalent of XP Home. RDP is not supported for it.

You're going to want to install something along the lines of TightVNC on that PC, and then find the appropriate VNC client for your Mac. This will mean more work for you to get set up, but it is as reliable a solution in the long run.

Perry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I believe you can install Terminal Services on the PC, giving it RDC capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I believe you can install Terminal Services on the PC, giving it RDC capabilities.

On XP and Vista, this is not the case. It's either already present, or not available. This can be verified on Microsoft's own web site: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/02ddfbec-7a97-4788-9d54-86f174a95f841033.mspx

* You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Basic N, or Windows Vista Home Premium. You can, however, connect from those editions of Windows Vista to computers running other versions of Windows.
* You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows XP Home Edition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.