leopard + new hard disk constant fan even when idle

Reaction score
hello everybody,
Since I installed a new internal 160Gb hard disk and Leopard my intel macbook 2Ghz, 1Gb ram, fan is always active even when idle.
The only program/software I have installed that is always running is Quicksilver.
I installed leopard cache cleaner to try and solve this problem but it seems to have added even more strain and the fan is running all the time as if the processor waa under a major strain or if a very processor intensive software was running.
I am just about to run a hardware check to see if there is anything going on with the hardware that could be causing this issue and will post back.
The laptop itself is not hot or warm at all so I do not understand why the fan is in continuous work.

As im typing this it's finally decided to stop.

is anyone experiencing the same issue.

cheers and

happy new year to everybody

mirco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
are there any processes running in the background that might be hogging your system resources

OP
M
Reaction score
there doesn't seem to be any unusual process running at any level or user that could be causing this.

Can't figure out what's causing it.

Plus I tried running the hardware test from the leopard installation dvd and it does not seem to happen.

Is there anything like a hardware test on the installation dvd or not?

Cheers

Mirco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah you actually have to have the leopard DVD in the drive to do the hardware test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I have been experiencing the same issue...as soon as I log into OS X Leopard, the fan starts spinning at 5500-6000 RPMs (as measured by iStat Pro). I was about to reset the PRAM and all those other hardware-level troubleshooting tips when I realized that if I didn't leave this instant, I was going to be late for work. Guess it'll wait for morning. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, the leopard dvd is always on the drive when i try and run the hardware test but no matter what function, option key I use it does not start which make sme think that there's no hardware test on leopard dvd.

Last night as if by magic the fan stopped misbehaving and all was quite which doesn't really mean that the problem is solved.

I really think that an update is overdue to solve all these glitches and hicups
that are sporadically happening.

Mirco

Reaction score
not overheating?

You said your computer is not hot? Maybe because the fans are running constantly to keep it from overheating. installing your own 160gb hard drive and upgrading to new system OS sounds like a heavy burden on a laptop to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
Have you tried to verify disk permissions and verify the disk in disk utility? Try also running first aid...

If you go to utilities > then disk utility see if running those will help

OP
M
Reaction score
MacBook - leopard + new hard disk constant fan even when idle

I have corrected all possible permission problems with leopard cache cleaner and disk utility.
The fan is now not overworking as much as before but still every now and again it starts fanning away for no particular reason. (no major application problem).

My macbook supports very large hard disks although it came originally with an 80Gb pre-installed.
I have 1Gb of memory that Im going to upgrade soon to a 2Gb +.
These "problems" seem to occur more since leopard was installed.

Reaction score
I used to have the same problem with my current Nov-07 black MacBook. The fan was so loud I couldn't sleep with it in the same room! And it always worked around 6000... Not good! The thing we have in common, that solved my problem was Leopard and Quicksilver. I always had Quicksilver running and when I shut it down the fan went quiet and the iStat suddenly showed me a healthy computer. I think it's a bug in the Leopard/Quicksilver combination? Maybe?

Try shut Quicksilver off.

Cheers from sweden

Reaction score
I have a new macbook jan 2009 and changed the fujitsu 160 gig hard disk for a western digital 400 gig. The result was that the fan makes slightly more noise. The power consumption of the disk is less than the old one. I copied the disk so the configuration was exactly the same. I stopped quicksilver but no result. Anyone a suggestion?

Greetings from the netherlands.
Ap

Reaction score
I had the fan problem as well after I put a western digital 500 GB into my macbook pro. Both Fans had 6000 rpm constantly.

I found that one of the two connectors of the thermal sensor on the hard disk wasn't in contact with the disk. I fixed it with some tape and everything works fine now. Fan speed is normal again.

You have to be really careful with the cable and connectors of the thermal sensor, when you take it off your old hard disk, so that it stays sticky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.