• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Review the last movie you saw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hitman. Got home last night at about 12:30 and decided to stick on a film. Was pretty good. Cool plot and some good action although some of it a bit unrealistic.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
watched a couple very different movies yesterday...

transformers (the live action movie)
as good as i expected - a bit cheesy and over the top, but thoroughly enjoyable. there were some genuinely funny 'laugh out loud' moments, story that wasn't too boring or predictable, good pacing and decent acting. also, i really liked the casting - john tuturro as the special agent was especially brilliant.

inherit the wind (made for tv - 1988)
i watched the beginning of this as a lark before i went shopping yesterday. i don't think i'd ever actually seen it before. it definitely had a cheapish cheesy 80's cbs made for tv feel. but the writing and acting were really good - and of course with Jason Robards and Kirk Douglas heading up the cast, you pretty much can't go wrong. it's also a nice little, easy to watch, piece of history for the younger kids here to watch - give some perspective on some of the struggles still going on in some schools dealing with evolution theory and creationism.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
finally saw...

bridge to terabithia
much different than i'd expected. much less fantasy than something like chronicals of narnia or jumanji. it was actually sort of refreshing and pretty interesting. the casting/acting was really good - the two teen leads (the boy was the teen in rv w/ robin williams and the girl was violet in the charlie and the chocolate factory remake) were both excellent. i can't give away much for those that haven't seen it yet, but it is definitely worth a watch for those that like these sort of real kids in fantasy worlds sort of movies or "geek" kids in high school sort of flicks. it combines the two in a really nice way, and blurs fantasy and reality a bit.

jah

Reaction score
recently i saw three tv series, all excellent:
-weeds, liked the ending
-the wire, same as american gangster except takes place now
-generation kill, a iraq war action series

all three were very good enjoy.
weeds 3 seasons
wire 5 seasons
generation kill 1 season (up to e7 now)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The movie I most recently saw was..

The Big Lebowski - Now, this is far from the first time I saw it, but I picked up the 10th anniversary two disc set this past week and finally got a chance to sit down and watch it again. I always forget just how funny this movie is, and how much I seem to miss previously. Take for instance Buscemi's performance, brilliant. While he doesn't say much at all throughout the movie his facial expressions are wonderful..

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this dude definitely abides.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Now, the release of the DVD set coincided with the start of fall bowling league.. coincidence? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I have not been to the movies in a while, but I am really looking forward to Appaloosa as I like a good Western.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
In the Land of Women was on HBO last night. It was pretty good...I guess it was more of a chick flick though. It's definitely something I would put on if I had a girl come over and wanted to make her cry...that or 28 weeks later.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you want a woman - or anyone to cry, put on life is beautiful.

i watched that before i had my sons, i don't even know if i could handle watching it now...

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
The 2 "blockbuster" movies I saw this summer:

-The Dark Knight: Very enjoyable, Heath Ledger's performance stole the show. To be honest, I can't stand how Christian Bale overdoes the corny Batman character voice. Though better than Katie Holmes, I still don't like the Rachel Dawes character that much.

-Incredible Hulk: Liked it even less than the 1st one, which I didn't like. I don't know what it was, aside from the lame plot, that I didn't like, but the whole thing just seemed too over the top even for a comic book movie. It's a shame, too, since I'm a big fan of Eric Bana and Edward Norton, when they're not starring in silly films such as this one.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
tropic thunder

got this for my wife for xmas (she really wanted to see it actually ;P).
superb comedy, great casting, mostly just really good stupid fun. robert downey and tom cruise were brilliant. there were so many actors you'd know, it was kind of like a more up to date 'it's a mad mad mad mad world, or 'the player'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
tropic thunder

got this for my wife for xmas (she really wanted to see it actually ;P).
superb comedy, great casting, mostly just really good stupid fun. robert downey and tom cruise were brilliant. there were so many actors you'd know, it was kind of like a more up to date 'it's a mad mad mad mad world, or 'the player'.

I really enjoyed that one! The last movie I saw was 7 pounds. I went with my girlfriend not expecting too much. It was an outstanding movie. I dont think it got great reviews but it was very inspirational. If anybody has the time to go see it you wont be disappointed.

Reaction score
I just watch National Treasure Book of Secrets couple hours ago...

It was fine...I like the clues and all the action going on. It has a nice cast and they all perform well but I do wish there are more comedy that's put into it despite all the car chasing, shooting, kidnapping.......

Reaction score
I watched "A River Runs Through It" for about the 100th time yesterday. I personally think the movie is awesome. I love to fish and am a Presbyterian so the movie is perfect to me. To not go into great detail the movie is about two brothers who grow up very different lives, but still have two things in common, fishing and loving family. I have seen the movie so many times I could probably recite word for word (without the movie being on) and I still enjoy it time after time. I would suggest all to watch it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
cocaine cowboys - A minus

interesting documentary. scary, but will teach almost everyone something they didn't know about teh coke trade in the 70s-80s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.5.5,24",Pioneer DVD -RW External Burner
7 Pounds

This was a goody ( to me anyways ) ... reviews were putting it down ???? Don't really know why ... I like what I like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
The movie I most recently saw was..

The Big Lebowski - Now, this is far from the first time I saw it, but I picked up the 10th anniversary two disc set this past week and finally got a chance to sit down and watch it again. I always forget just how funny this movie is, and how much I seem to miss previously. Take for instance Buscemi's performance, brilliant. While he doesn't say much at all throughout the movie his facial expressions are wonderful..

what are the additional features? easily my favorite comedy of all time, but i am wondering if the extra stuff is worth the purchase of the new release? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20in 2.4ghz
Bigger, Stronger, Faster. A documentary about steroids in America. A very good film, a real eye opener. I highly suggest checking it out, it will really make you think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Speaking of movies. Bump. Need suggestions. Watching The Soloist tonight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.