• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Review the last movie you saw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
No Country for Old Men
The story is great, the suspense is unbearable. I love the way it was shot. It's such a beautiful movie visually. I didn't really get the ending. I would have picked a different spot.

You didn't get the ending? Watch it again, you will! It's just perfect.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
re: lebowski...

the dude abides.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You only watched 10 minutes of it? Wow.

Yea, I'm not really into these stylized war movies. I have no reason to care. I regretting grabbing the movie as I was checking out.

You didn't get the ending? Watch it again, you will! It's just perfect.

It probably is. I guess I am so used to the Hollywood dribble. I am used to feeling like it should have wrapped up nicely in pretty little bow.
I will have to see it again. It will be in collection when it comes to DVD or Blu-ray (hoping).

the dude abides.

You're killing me with laughter Eric. thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
a clockwork orange. not a kubrik fanboy but one of the greatest movies ever made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i just saw alien vs predator requiem, overall it was a pretty good movie with lots of blood and some nice death scenes. a senseless killing movie,, i like

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
last two movies i saw - both "action" movies.

hot fuzz and terminator 3: rise of the machines

while, both of these are in the action genre, hot fuzz (like the brilliant shaun of the dead before it) is a parody of an action film while it actually is a really good example of the genre it parodies. T3 on the other hand seems like an unintentional parody of itself. not to say T3 isn't worth a watch, it is for any fan of the series or of sci-fi action films.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
The Blues Brothers.
"We're on a mission... from God"

Reaction score
Saw Sweeny Todd at the weekend - first date alone without our kids in nearly 2 years. Typical Tim Burton, dark and arty. Liked it although it probably isn't for every one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I saw "Cloverfield" yesterday. Long story short, I want my $14 and 2 hours back. Basically it's like war of the worlds meets Gozilla in that it's an attack on NY from the perspective of some random people instead of the military, but much worse than both.

The movies starts with a really long scene of some guy's party being shot by his idiot friend, who, sadly, shoots the whole movie. This scene went on way too long, reminding me of the seemingly endless opening scene to "Death Proof".

The rest of the movie is these idiot 20-something's running around while some unknown monster trashes the city around them. If you get sea sick or car sick, don't see this movie, or take some Dramamine, because the video is constantly shacking. I never get motion sickness, but this almost did it to me.

The whole just really made me mad more than anything and reminded me of "the blair witch project", only I think the BWP was much better than this piece of steaming waste

Spoiler alert for this next paragraph:

You never really find out anything about the monster or whether it is even killed. All you get is shaky video footage, inane conversation, stupid questions over and over from stupid camera guy like "did you see that?" and "what's going on?". I think he uttered those 2 questions to his friends about 50 times during the movie when the answers are painfully obvious; yes they can see what you see, and no they can't possibly know anything more about the giant monster than you since you're with them the entire time! Didn't you want to get up and dance in the isles when camera guy died? I was so glad I wouldn't have to hear his stupid comments and questions any more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Spoiler below:

At the end of the credits of Cloverfield you hear them say "it's still alive"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spoiler below:

At the end of the credits of Cloverfield you hear them say "it's still alive"

heh, I actually stayed until the end because I thought something like that would happen, but then I couldn't hear what it said! Which, of course, made me even more mad. I wanted to go to the projection room and ask the guy to rewind it.

M

MacHeadCase

We rented a brilliant movie a week ago. It was The Hours.

Superbly filmed, acted and intertwined in time. It revolves around Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway and how the novel affects Julianne Moore's and Meryl Streep's characters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ even though it's a "chick flick" I heard it's pretty good. I may check it out sometime when the new release section has nothing to offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Pan's Labyrinth.
After learning about film making, it kind of ruined films for me. I was too focused on camera angles, and the technicalities of each shot.
Pan's Labyrinth was the first film in years, where I just sat down and enjoyed a film. A film that has sincerely moved me.

M

MacHeadCase

Recently saw that one too, leecho! I usually don't like films with sub-titles because I find they split my concentration: I try to focus on the written text and the actor's play and I miss out on a lot of stuff that way. But this movie was really really good. I highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
The Princess Bride - excellent

***** (ie five stars - not swearing!)

Enough said.

Reaction score
I was recently forced to watch Die Hard 4... Normally I love senseless violence and death movies, but this Die Hard is just plain awful. By the time Bruce jumped off a bridge and caught a ride on a passing fighter jet I was thinking about doing my own root canal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Couldn't agree more, but that's the way it goes with sequels usually. They just have to get bigger and more outrageous. The first one was great: just a cop caught up in a bad situation where the most outrageous thing I think he did was use a fire hose for a rope. But ramping cars into helicopters, driving SUVs through buildings and jump in jets is just too far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Yesterday I saw Se7en for the first time and I was underwhelmed.
I was hoping for some interesting plot twists but it was all very predictable.
It's ranked #37 on IMDB, but for me it was just a great film, nothing extraordinary.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
finally got around to watching running with scissors.

while the commercials that i saw likened this film to a wes anderson dramedy like the royal tenenbaums, it was far from it. it was a little hard to watch at times though i was pretty thorougly involved in the story. while it was well written and very well acted, it was sort of like watching a really long series of car wrecks that you just can't look away from - and you really hope the lead character Augusten can walk away with some of his dignity and self-respect in tact. even the parts that seemed funny in the commercials/trailers are more wince worthy than funny within the context of the rest of the story.

if you liked the royal tenebaums or rushmore or even something like the squid and the whale, it certainly falls within that realm of uncomfortable family drama, just don't expect the laughs that one of those other movies delivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.