• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
man... I miss my G5. Mac pros are so amazing now... My iMac doesnt handle what I do, and I don't even use it for professional anything! But try playing world of warcraft, using photoshop, adium and safari... Sigh

I want a new machine. Hard to choose between the large iMac and max out the ram or get a mac pro... Wish I had the cash to get a 30" display. I wish I was going to macworld too! Anyway... Exciting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
I assume it uses the Penryn processors. Hopefully the 65nm processors drop in price so I can swap mine out for 2 Quad cores.
Seems Apple made room for the double wide cards. It now supports 8- 30" monitors!

you can do that? wow! I didn't even think of that. (I'm a dumb newbie)
Probably cost difference wouldn't be much between selling machine and getting new one.

Reaction score
I have a new iMac at work, and I'm considering getting a Mac Pro for home to replace my PC. I prefer to do all my work on the Mac side, and play some games on the PC (boot camp) side. I think the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT would be fine for the Mac side, but I would want something beefier for PC games.

Is it possible to install any PCIe card I want for use in boot camp while leaving the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT for use on the Mac?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
Just get the GeForce 8800GT. Anandtech.com says its about the best card for the money right now. Its only a $200 upgrade, and you would pay more then that if you bought it separately!
I am going to buy a 2.8 Quad w/ the 8800 after MW... just in case they announce something else between the iMac and the Mac Pro. I doubt they will, but its only a week to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Wonder why it says the Radeon 2600XT gives 88FPS in Doom 3? I get 100FPS in WindowsXP with the same settings on my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Maybe the same is made for the PC and the Mac version is only a port of the PC version, not fully optimised for OS X. That would explain the slight drop in FPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
man... I miss my G5. Mac pros are so amazing now... My iMac doesnt handle what I do, and I don't even use it for professional anything! But try playing world of warcraft, using photoshop, adium and safari... Sigh

What planet are you on (or more to the point, what spec is your imac?) Mine runs photoshop, final cut pro, adium, firefox and after effects all at the same time (even with afx rendering something) without a blip!

Not quite macpro standards, but more impressive than anything else i have seen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
If you gotta buy the RAID card anyways for the SAS drives, couldn't you just do RAID 0+1 so you wouldn't have to use a Time Machine HD? Or is 0+1 slower?

Time machine has advantages over RAID, if I create a file then change it, change it the next day then delete it time machine will recall each version. RAID wont, you might have the last version in the waste bin but thats about it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buy an eSATA card and give that a whirl if FW800 isn't a fast enough option for an external.
No clue why Apple says SAS and SATA can be installed, I would assume the two hidden SATA ports might be no good either for 1TB HD's if you're running SAS drives. If it is possible, there should be a simple enough way to use the bottom half of the optical drive sled to mount a 5th HD.

Don't even need an esata card, just the cable from newertech. It just attaches to the unused ports, (although they are hard to get to) and comes out the back.

http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
well now google can move their servers to one computer :p haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
has anyone tried customizing these things yet? i tried to opt for the 880GT but it said 3-5weeks estimated ship time.

i'll stick with the 2600XT. I'm glad I waited to order. Now all i need is for wells fargo to get off their butt and make funds available!

Quick question tho, can I still run 667mhz FB-DIMMS in this thing? I'd assume so since it should be backwards compatible but what about mixing speeds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah for some reason that card makes the time it takes to receive the computer extremely long, but in my case i'm ordering it any way, because its worth it.

with out the card it ships in 3-5 days. I don't know why the delay for one card.

Reaction score
Mixed Drives w/RAID card

I understand it's all SATA or all SAS, but how about with the RAID card option? Is it possible to to throw in a single SAS (as a scratch drive) along with three 1GB SATAs using the RAID card option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I think it works like this:

All the hard drives either have to attached to the logic board, or to the card. You can't have one to the card and the rest to the board, or visa versa. I think once a SAS drive is plugged in the card will only work with SAS because of some kind of hardware limit to how the information flows through the card, or how the chips can process the information.

The question really is, if you place a second raid card in your system can you use 2 different kinds of hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
what are you doing to require the 8800gt? I may be working with motion/after effects every now and then but it won't be super intense stuff and it will mostly be photoshop, final cut, and a few other apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
What planet are you on (or more to the point, what spec is your imac?) Mine runs photoshop, final cut pro, adium, firefox and after effects all at the same time (even with afx rendering something) without a blip!

Not quite macpro standards, but more impressive than anything else i have seen

hah!!! Yea you have 3 gigs of ram! I have a 20" intel with 1g of ram. There is def. Something wrong with my computer though, I'm compiling screenshots...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shipping time with the nvidia is 3-5 weeks- ouch!

Is it better performance wise if you have dual displays to have 2 cards or one card, or doesn't it matter?

I was thinking get the ati and just add another one. They are on ebay for $50.

Reaction score
hah!!! Yea you have 3 gigs of ram! I have a 20" intel with 1g of ram. There is def. Something wrong with my computer though, I'm compiling screenshots...

I will bet that your biggest laggard is your ram, upgrade it and you will probably be much happier!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what are you doing to require the 8800gt? I may be working with motion/after effects every now and then but it won't be super intense stuff and it will mostly be photoshop, final cut, and a few other apps.

Editing High Deff Video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.