• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How to ask for a girl's number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Hello. I'm 17 and on Monday I saw a really pretty and friendly girl working in a store at a street selling clothes and all. I went into the shop, asked her a lil' about the clothes, and then went away after looking around. Now I'm deciding(actually it all depends whether I'll be able to get the guts to do it or not) to ask for her number this Friday when I make a trip down to the street again with my friend. Anybody knows how should I go about doing it since she's working in the store and I won't get to speak to her for more than a couple sentences in case her superior catches her doing so. I'm thinking, "Hello. I know I'm a lil' direct here, but if you don't mind, could I have your number? If you don't want to, it's okay ya." Comments or suggestions anyone?

It's weird posting this on an Apple forum, but lol this is the only place I got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
ask her how long she has worked there, where she is from etc.. to start a conversation then just ask her if she fancies doing something sometime. If she says yes then this means she is intrested.. exchange numbers to organise it.

sorted.

If you get nervouse tell yourself what have you got to loose. if she thinks ur a muppet you never have to see her again and dont have to go in the shop. if she is a nice person she will be flattered you asked her even if she says no. if she says something cocky or nasty she is really not interested.

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I don't think she can get the time to talk such a convo with me since the shop is extremely small, and pretty crowded at times. She wouldn't be able to get away and speak to me for so long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
keep it short and sweet then... ask her if she has had a busy day, then ask her if she fancies doing something when she is off. you cant script asking some one out, its one of thoes things you have to play by ear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
OK, 20+ years ago I would end up in the same situation. Here's what I learned over time: She's already decided on an answer in case you come back in the shop and ask her out. It's up to you to find out what that answer is.

Be presentable. Go in and buy a shirt or something from her, and then she has an excuse to talk to you for a longer period of time. Have trouble making up your mind between 2 or 3 shirts, and get her opinion. After she's helped you - and you've been asking her about HER during this time as well - ask her if she'd like to have coffee / tea / lunch / go out sometime.

Regardless of the above option, suggest locations that are somewhat public, and near her store, so that she doesn't get a chance to feel 'on edge.' A daylight date/meeting is the thing to do, these days - one without alcohol.

Most importantly: BE YOURSELF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You're in Singapore?
Most folk here are USA and UK. It would be hard giving advise not knowing the culture and what is expected (or tolerated).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You're in Singapore?
Most folk here are USA and UK. It would be hard giving advise not knowing the culture and what is expected (or tolerated).
Good advice.
It is also not such a good idea to ask here while she is working.
Last thing a girl really wants is to be hit on or chatted up while she is trying to work at her job.
Lingering around... buying something (that you are only buying for the sake of getting a moment to talk to her)... A guy can score a big fat 10 on her "annoying-creep-o-meter" that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
When I was about 17 I worked at a department store checkout.... had a guy come through my register..... he ended up waiting for me til I got off work and then asked me out.

He was clutzy about it - watching me and walking backwards and tripping over a garbage can. Thought it was funny.. went out with him for about a week. LOL...

But like giulio said... depends on culture. And yes....... just be yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Just be like:

'Listen, I know you want everything I have to offer, so let's make this easy. I will write a number down on this piece of paper right here *grab scrap sheet of paper and write your number on it* and you can be free to pursue this at your leisure.'

Then walk away before she has time to reject you. It's foolproof.

OR

You can pull the ol' kindergarten trick. When you go to check out, hand her a folded sheet of paper that says 'Will you go on a date with me? Yes/No/Maybe' Girls go crazy for stuff like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
cheesybanana, you earned your name! =)

I think sincerity would work best. And like others said, you don't want to be a pest at her job.
Just say you'd like to have lunch (or whatever meal) with her during her break, or after she gets off work.
It's fast, simple and painless. You get an instant answer... no more killing yourself from the inside out!

Reaction score
Strike a conversation, ask her if she wants to go for a drink, job done.

Asking a complete stranger for her number would be stupid and lets be honest she could be a crazy phsyco or shallow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
OR for another fun idea, you could tell her you are psychic and that you are great at guessing phone numbers. Then you spout off some random phone number and when she tells you you're wrong, she'll have to tell you what it really is to prove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
OR for another fun idea, you could tell her you are psychic and that you are great at guessing phone numbers. Then you spout off some random phone number and when she tells you you're wrong, she'll have to tell you what it really is to prove it.

Ha, thats fantastic. If i wasn't engaged I would so try this it just for kicks lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

Ha, thats fantastic. If i wasn't engaged I would so try this it just for kicks lol.

But in all honestly like everyone said be yourself, and tell her you would lreally liek to get to know her and if should would like to get some coffee on her break.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Ever read the game?

Use an opener. "Nice hat", whatever. Anything can be an opener. Then neg her. Tell her her hair's kind of a mess. It puts you in the position where she know's you're not drooling over her. But then compliment her. "But I still kind of like it."

Don't ask questions. Make statements. My name is. You look like you've been working here for a while. This shirt looks cool. Control the conversation and where it's going.

Don't hang around for ever. In fact, let her know you only have five minutes because you wanted to check out this cool shirt and have to get back to work. That let's her know that she won't have you hanging around forever making ackward conversation. Now is not the time for that.

Watch what she's doing. Look for IoI's. Indicators of Interest can be smiles, her twirling her hair. See three of these and you're golden.

Go kino. "Thank's for the conversation, but I have to get going". Hold out your hand for her to shake it.

Close. "Oh, and before I go I want you're number."

Be prepared for, "I didn't say you could have it or something like that". If that happens, easy. Reply, "I didn't ask".

Stay calme, don't sweat.

Sounds cheesy, but some of these things actually work.

O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

You sir, could be a PUA. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
*snip* Sounds cheesy *snip*

I do not endorse anything in VI's post.

They are good ideas...but you may come off as an overconfident, arrogant butt.

But that may not always be bad :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I do not endorse anything in VI's post.

They are good ideas...but you may come off as an overconfident, arrogant butt.

But that may not always be bad :D

OT, but read "The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artist". It's by Niel Strauss, a rolling stone writer who co-wrote books with Motley, Crue, Jenna Jameson, and Marilyn Manson.

It's about his experience with the pickup artist, Mystery (Any one ever see the show about the guys wanting to become pickup artist on VH1? That's the Mystery from this book). It's very entertaining and actually contains some insight on the whole dating thing. Take it at face value, but there's some things in there that do make sense. I mean, walk up to a girl and just start stammering and chatting about nothing and asking her all kinds of dumb questions and the first thing she's probably going to be thinking is, "When is this guy leaving".

Edit: It's really about being a salesman. You have to sale yourself. If you walk into a conversation not having a hot product or anything worth talking about, then no one wants to buy you. It all depends on the situation and the people though. You have to put it in perspective, not every one has the confidence and is afraid of rejection. So what if a girl says no. If you never ask, then she can't say yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Sounds interesting.

Generally, I won't approach someone until I have something interesting to say. After that, I am pretty good with carrying on a conversation (as long as the other person isn't a dead horse).

Also, I do not approach girls to pick them up. Ever. I don't think I ever have. I approach them because I want to talk to someone. This helps, as I never seem too interested (and I pretty much never am).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.