Boot Camp: Vista or Windows XP Better?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just purchased my first macbook and am trying to start up boot camp. It gives me the choice of installing either XP or Vista. Which software usually is the better to install? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
i use Vista personally because I just like to be on top of the latest tech and stuff like DX 10 for some of the games i play is a must

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20 inch, 4 gb ram. powerbook g4 cube, macbook 13 inch, 1gb ram.ipod nano 4gb,classic 160gb
Xp is indeed the better choice on that one. Vista was not ready it shoudnlt have even been put out yet. Vista also runs extremely slow, although im not sure how it would run on a mac. Ive only seen it run on an Hp so far an it was horrible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
Xp is indeed the better choice on that one. Vista was not ready it shoudnlt have even been put out yet. Vista also runs extremely slow, although im not sure how it would run on a mac. Ive only seen it run on an Hp so far an it was horrible.

My only problems with Vista have been a dirt old Laser Printer that I had no longer being supported by HP for Vista, and the occasional discontinued software that doesn't work. I seem to be in the internet minority and have actually had a pleasant Vista experience, running it from about 2 months after its release.

One thing that is very nice too is it runs very quick on my iMac, though I'm still waiting for my 4GB of memory to get here so when memory intensive stuff goes on it slows down a bit.

However, I do agree that unless you want the latest that Microsoft has to offer, XP would probably be a better choice due to it being much more "refined" over time as opposed to Vista which is still fresh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
My wife just got a new laptop which came with Vista, but I asked the tech guy in the shop to put XP on it instead, and he agreed with my decision.

Hope that answers your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I run both routinely. But at this point, I only run Vista when I have to. XP Pro is still the way to go. Think of it htis way: Originally, MS was not going to release a 3rd Service Pack for XP, but the hatemail they've gotten over Vista has led them to change their mind. What does this tell you? It tells me they are realizing that Vista wasn't ready for Prime Time.

Reaction score
It tells me they are realizing that Vista wasn't ready for Prime Time.

And it never will since support for Vista will end in 2010 or something like that so its jus another experiment on people and we are paying for it. Does any one remembers Windows Millennium :) That was the firs Microsoft experiment where people where facially pay for testing system that was protoplast for XP

Today no one use and remember Win ME and the same will be with Vista. The implanted couple of new features but that’s it. Now they are just waiting for feedback and finally they will build next proper Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Vista never was ready it shouldn't of been released at all. Go with XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I have xp...
it is lightning fast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
I've debated the same thing for my future macbook and have to if I chose right now I say XP. I can get either XP Pro or Vista business for the same price through my school and would definitely go with XP just because its faster and will only get faster with SP3. I've got vista on my current laptop and after the little bit of eye candy has worn off the shutdown hang ups, and unexpected shutdowns, and firefox crashes really get old. I also like to be up to date and ready for the future but as long as you're not playing certain games for windows, the world's not rushing to vista so I wouldn't worry about having the latest and "greatest."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.