Lost volume control on internal output.

Reaction score
Lost my volume controls? Mac G-4 tower, OSX 10.4.11
Hello,

This just started today. Mac G-4 Quick Silver running OSX Tiger. My volume controls keep ramping down. Can't hear sound.
States that selected device(internal speakers) has no output control. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this?

When I go in the system prefs, under sound it reads as: internal speakers, when I put in headphones it shows the difference. The port reads as: built-in audio. Below in the gray area it shows: Settings for the selected device: The selected device has no output controls. Then below that it reads:
Output volume and the mute button is selected. When I go to unselect it pops back on. The speaker itself works, because during various reset attempts I could hear the chime. I can also hear headphones and speaker for brief moment when I manually try to adjust volume control both on key board or in menu, but it will not hold, it drops back to zero.

Weird part is that about 2 hours ago everything seemed normal again and itunes played and I was able to adjust volume without any problems. Then about hour later the volume gray box popped back up on my desk top and went to zero again(all the way to left) with no sound and now the box will not go away. Light gray with volume symbol.

Any thoughts? I'm baffled. Recently put in wireless card and airport extreme base, but when I disconnected problem still occurs.

Thanks again,

Bingball

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac PPC under Leopard 10.5.7
lost volume control !!!

Hi, I have the exact same problem now in July 2009, it all started 1 month ago.
No special stuff on board, just a standard PPC with Leopard 10.5.7 !!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine. See the following Link.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac PPC under Leopard 10.5.7
Lost my volume controls? Mac G-4 tower, OSX 10.4.11
Hello,

This just started today. Mac G-4 Quick Silver running OSX Tiger. My volume controls keep ramping down. Can't hear sound.
States that selected device(internal speakers) has no output control. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this?

When I go in the system prefs, under sound it reads as: internal speakers, when I put in headphones it shows the difference. The port reads as: built-in audio. Below in the gray area it shows: Settings for the selected device: The selected device has no output controls. Then below that it reads:
Output volume and the mute button is selected. When I go to unselect it pops back on. The speaker itself works, because during various reset attempts I could hear the chime. I can also hear headphones and speaker for brief moment when I manually try to adjust volume control both on key board or in menu, but it will not hold, it drops back to zero.

Weird part is that about 2 hours ago everything seemed normal again and itunes played and I was able to adjust volume without any problems. Then about hour later the volume gray box popped back up on my desk top and went to zero again(all the way to left) with no sound and now the box will not go away. Light gray with volume symbol.

Any thoughts? I'm baffled. Recently put in wireless card and airport extreme base, but when I disconnected problem still occurs.

Thanks again,

Bingball

I got it fixed by applying a paperclip into the speaker phone input !!!

Reaction score
Thank you for the paper clip solution

I was having the same problem. I tried various things. Reset Pram. Threw out system prefs. etc.. I then read this thread and saw the paper clip solution. I then just simply put my headphone jack in to the headphone imput slot and viola... my sound came back. I'd like to know what happened and why this fixed the problem. Thanks for your tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.