Can i change the letter and path??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"MacBook 1.8GHZ Core Duo, 1.25 GB RAM, 120 GB HD". / "G4 1.2 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HD"
Hi there, i want to change the letter and path on a flash drive, an imation one. Im not sure if this can be done on Mac, i know how to do it on Windows (but i dont use windows any more), so i want to know if i can do it, and if can how to do it. Thank you in advance.

;D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What do you mean by letter and path?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be able to use an alias (short cut).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
rman seems have stayed away from Windows for far too long. Congrats!

Anyway, to the OP, you can't change the letter of a flash drive and such in OS X. That's not the way things work. Although I don't see what you really want to achieve with that. You can change the name of the drive by hitting Return key but other than that it's pretty much automatic.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman is a Unix man. He does not play with window, but has to use it from time to time.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"MacBook 1.8GHZ Core Duo, 1.25 GB RAM, 120 GB HD". / "G4 1.2 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HD"
So i can not be done, its not the name of the drive, i do know how to that, the things is in Windows every device has a letter example the floppy drive is A:, the Hard Drive (internal) is C:, and so long, sometimes when the drive is not being recognize properly by changing the letter to another one fixes the problem, i want it to try, standard troubleshoot. Thank you for your replys, appreciate that. xD

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, that won't work in osx. did you see if disk utility recognizes it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell us what problem you are having first. The methods on OS X might be way different from what you are used to in Windows.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The drive is not being recognize properly, try it on two different computers it only worked on one of them, I dont mind throwing this drive away, but i have some important files, all ready try data recovery software but it didnt work, that mainly it, hope we can solve this problem.

Thanx

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And no is not on disk utility. :S

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
get a similar size drive that does work on a mac.

go to a library or kinkos or something, see if the old drive shows up on a windows machine there. if it does, copy the data over to the new one. then i'd reformat the old one FAT32 and see if the mac can see it then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be some cable is loose within the drive casing. Try fiddling with it and moving the cables WHILE the drive is connected. Of course, DON'T do this if that data is valuable :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, it is valuable, the thing is that this is a flash drive does not use any cables, just goes directly to the USB ports, and im using the back ports, and is not being recognize on the Windows computer is XP by the way, **** flash drives :S.

xD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.