Keeping My Mac Awake.

Reaction score
How do I keep my Macbook from going Idle?

I've tried using InsomniaX, but it doesnt seem to work, because my PMU forces it to shutdown after a period of time, which I cant change.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You mean with the lid open, right?

If so, go to System Preferences => Energy Saver => set "put my computer to sleep after..." = Never, and set "Put the display(s) to sleep after..." = Never.

That should do it. InsomniaX is only used to keep your Macbook from sleeping when you close the lid.

OP
T
Reaction score
Now what about the lid closed? InsomniaX doesnt work when the lid is closed.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Now what about the lid closed? InsomniaX doesnt work when the lid is closed.

Thanks.

It's supposed to, a bug maybe? I think there's another one called Sleepless that you might want to try.

Of course, if your Mac is running with the lid closed, it will not be able to dissipate heat as effectively, possibly shortening the life of your components.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
A few notes:

I use Caffeine to prevent my notebook from going to sleep, but that's only while the lid is open. Caffeine will not prevent it from going to sleep with the lid closed.

Just remember... Macbooks and Macbook Pros suck in air for cooling through the keyboard. With the lid closed, there is not a large volume of air to suck in, hence the hardware is designed to go to sleep when the lid shuts. You will not only start heating up the internal components since there is no ventilation, but you also risk damaging the screen. Imagine your screen being so close to 80-90 degree Celsius components, it's sure to develop warping or damage to the LCD overtime.

I would highly recommend that you do not try to force your computer to stay awake while the lid is closed. It goes to sleep for a reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
I use Caffeine as well and I highly recommend it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.