Leopard is Slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I have found that Safari is quite slow when going to various web sites or when clicking the back arrow to return to one just viewed. I am operating from a high speed cable via Airport Extreme and have recently installed the latest updates. I frequently do a restart but still find the problem. I do not have an unusual number of applications open at the same time.

I hope I'll get some responses to this.

Reaction score
I have found that Safari is quite slow when going to various web sites or when clicking the back arrow to return to one just viewed. I am operating from a high speed cable via Airport Extreme and have recently installed the latest updates. I frequently do a restart but still find the problem. I do not have an unusual number of applications open at the same time.

I hope I'll get some responses to this.

Try another Browser like Firefox and see what happens.

I've had similar issues. I do however clean out my cache from time to time. How long do you leave your computer on for at a time? OSX does some daily, weekly and monthly clear outs. Not sure of the time you need to leave it for for it to find time to do them. You can get some YASU that will perform those tasks immediately so that's worth a go, BUT i'm not endorsing it/them as some of them might create issues I don't know of. Unlikely but it needs to be said to keep my head off the chopping block..!

Rimmer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Use Onyx or MainMenu to run some cache-cleaning utilities and other maintenance utilties.

Do you have any 3rd-party plug-ins or add-ons for Safari? Any ad-blocking software? Try Firefox as Rimmer suggested and see if it seems equally slow.

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issue. I did download and install Firefox, and it has been a bit faster. I'm still puzzled at why it takes Safari and at random time Firefox to download a page.

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issue. I did download and install Firefox, and it has been a bit faster. I'm still puzzled at why it takes Safari and at random time Firefox to download a page.

Usually the internet connection or the router you are using. I just bought a little Airport Extreme with Airtunes to replace my Belkin G+ router. It's loads faster suggesting the router wasn't working well at all..

Rimmer

Reaction score
Usually the internet connection or the router you are using. I just bought a little Airport Extreme with Airtunes to replace my Belkin G+ router. It's loads faster suggesting the router wasn't working well at all..

Rimmer

That is a good suggestion, and I did play with some of the settings the other day thinking it might be the router or connection. The router I have is 2-2.5 years old. I was thinking the router might be burning out, but the two other PCs in my home office still load stuff from the internet at a fast pace.

Reaction score
I was thinking the router might be burning out, but the two other PCs in my home office still load stuff from the internet at a fast pace.

Well maybe not then. I have three mac's here (one my girlfriends imac) and loads of visitors, one of which is a staunch Linux user. Other people in the house use PC work laptops, all connected to my Airport. The belkin was a piece of shite compared to the Airport.

ISP goes **** up regular style (as in the last couple of days). Usually the first port of call when things slow up..

Rimmer

OP
jrichard012
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

I took the suggestion to try Firefox. I used it on our PC's before switching. Things now seem a little better. We don't run a lot of periferals other than Entourage which is normally up full time in the background. I routinely quit stuff when they're not needed. I appreciate your help.
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
is your wireless secured?

what speeds do you get?

if using wireless dont forget overhead so you never get the speeds they claim (54mbps et cetera)

it could also be those pages your viewing, just cause your internal network is fast doesnt mean the Internet is.

OP
jrichard012
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I determine wireless network speeds? I know I am supposed to be at 54mbps, but how do I verify?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.